14 Cooking and above.
Must be able to enter either Port Phasmatys, or Keldagrim.
- 2 Buckets of water
- 2 Bunches of Barley malt
- Your chosen ingredient
- An Empty pot
- 25gp or 5 Ecto-tokens (depending on brewery)
- 8 empty Beer glasses (or 2 Calquat kegs)
- Ghostspeak amulet for Port Phyasmatys
Access to dwarven cart system and Ectophial.
Table of Contents:
There are two breweries where you can make different types of ale or cider. The first is in the city of Keldagrim, which you can get to by entering a cave North East of Rellekka, or the via the cart system "Trapdoor" North West of the Grand Exchange. The second brewery is in Port Phasmatys, which is East of Canifis, in Morytania. You will need Ecto-tokens to enter Port Phasmatys if you have not completed the Ghosts Ahoy quest. After the quest the Ectophial is a quick teleport method, or via Charter ship.
To get to Keldagrim's brewery, go up the stairs North of the bar, on the East side of the city. It is just North of the cart system.
To get to Port Phasmatys' brewery, go down the ladder that is behind the bar, underneath the trap door.
Brewing ale is a legitimate part of the cooking skill, and is a good way to gain a quick temporary level or two in a few different skills. It also actually gives a good bit of experience for not a very large time commitment. However it is not for the short of patience. It takes serious time, and a decent bit of luck, to brew up a good batch of ale.
|Main Ingredient||Effect||GE Price|
||14||182||4 Apple mush||Increases Farming level by 1, decreases Attack and Strength by 2||5,301 Coins|
||19||215||4 Hammerstone hops||Increases Mining and Smithing level by 1, decreases Attack, Strength, and Defence by 5||333 Coins|
||24||248||4 Asgarnian hops||Increases Strength by 2, decreases Attack by 4||1,645 Coins|
||29||281||4 Clean harralanders||Increases Herblore by 1, decreases Attack, Strength, and Defence by 1||2,651 Coins|
|Wizard's mind bomb
||34||314||4 Yanillian hops||Increases Magic by 3, decreases combat skills||1,645 Coins|
||39||347||4 Krandorian hops||Increases Strength by 2, decreases Attack by 2||1,353 Coins|
||44||380||4 Bittercap mushrooms||Heals 440 life points||553 Coins|
||54||446||4 Chocolate dust||Increases Cooking by 4, decreases combat skills||8,675 Coins|
||49||413||1 Oak roots||Increases Woodcutting by 1, decreases combat skills||996 Coins|
||59||479||4 Wildblood hops||Increases Slayer by 1 and decreases Attack and Strength by 4||676 Coins|
How to Brew
Now that you know what you are going to make, bring the materials needed to either brewery and talk to either Blandebir of Keldagrim or Metarialus of Port Phasmatys (requires Ghostspeak amulet). To buy Ale yeast you will also need to bring an Empty pot.
Port Phasmatys Brewery:
- Buy a pot of Ale yeast from them for either 5 Ecto-Tokens or 25gp (requires an Empty pot).
- Use the two Buckets of water on the vat to fill it, then add the two bunches of Barley malt to the vat.
- After that add the main ingredient (see above table) and finish by adding the pot of Ale yeast.
- After approximately 8 to 72 hours, depending on your cooking level and the level of ale you are brewing, your ale will finish fermenting. It has a chance of being normal ale, mature ale (which adds a minor boost to its effects), or become bad. If it is bad there is nothing you can do to fix it. Simply empty out the vat by turning the valve, and start over again.
- If your ale is normal or mature, turn the valve to empty the vat of ale into the barrel. From the barrel you can fill 8 Beer glasses. If you would prefer you can use two Calquat kegs to hold your ale instead. To create a Calquat keg, take a Calquat fruit and use a knife on it to scoop out the pulp.
- If you would like a better chance at creating a mature ale, you can use buy some of "The Stuff" from Honest Jimmy in the Trouble Brewing Mini-Game. When added to the brewing process, "The stuff" will decrease the time needed for brewing to take place. It also increases the chance of any ale becoming mature from roughly 5% to closer to 50%, depending on your cooking level.
When brewing Cider instead of ale, you must first get Apple mush. Bring 16 Cooking apples and 4 Buckets to to the brewery. To make apple mush, put four cooking apples into the apple barrel. Your character will automatically collect the apple mush in one of your buckets. Continue until you have 4 buckets of apple mush. Then add your apple mush into the vat. When brewing cider, the apple mush will replace the water and barley, and it is your secondary ingredient. All you will have left to add is the yeast.
* = Members Only Items.
This Special Report was written by The RuneHQ Community. Thanks to Mystix88, Skatey, kemo5960, diamondi3ack, GoldenEvil, stormer, bernas, Firkløver, xDragonfirex, Sporhund, Shaw, limozeen_300, evomasta, iamme, Shinraz, Keystone, bilbo_matic2, Binsy2004, Alientech, Giac_Jr, pokemama, bilbo2460, DRAVAN, pcon2009, boyboy126, Skulldent1, Egekalaycan, Motion Man, AmanDpunk, Im4eversmart, pingu head, Aakanaar, YesM8, dragarth, Shinraz, creepybacon, sir karamu, Tennerel, wikedwitch, TheRulnig, Zevenberge, ZappaFan, Rundh, Shinraz, Nuke-Marine, saturn16v, ossie000, sir karamu, Aakanaar, poj7326, Oblivion590, mstreefland, brainymidget, jay_freak, luckybucket, rayquaza_zer, i joshb306 i, Jakesterwars, Theekid2001, Werdnanoslen, Sinny, Scott, Ruth Jaxom, Lord Barimus, Mimz, Kona rider69, Jarkur, South Texas, Zing101, RdRanger2020, homie1kinobi, Alk12, and Rooskii for corrections.
This Special Report was entered into the database on Sun, Mar 12, 2017, at 05:53:29 PM by Rooskii, and it was last updated on Fri, May 01, 2020, at 07:07:13 PM by Chath.
If you see this guide on any other site, please report it to us so we can take legal action against anyone found stealing our content. This guide is copyrighted by RuneHQ, and its use on other sites is expressly forbidden. Do not ask if you can use our guides or images, the answer is and always will be NO!