Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Need a Shield of Arrav / Heroes Quest Partner? Click here!
Supremacy : (Oct 23,2014 20:50) I enjoyed the 1m profit from that event. :D
senug : (Oct 23,2014 18:49) Thanks for the Corp event, even though I turned up about half an hour late and got most of the drops, it was fun and with a few people, easily killed :)
senug : (Oct 23,2014 16:10) Corp hmmm??? I might not come to that, or I may be late for it. :D
Sliver : (Oct 23,2014 16:02) RuneHQ Corporeal Beast event starts in 58m! World: 67 FC: Bertie
Alfawarlord : (Oct 23,2014 13:28) yes they are 2 different accounts with separate stats, though you use the same login details
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 12:52) Are characters in old school runescape seperate from the current runescape?
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 12:50) I did, was only replying to what he said
Bazzy : (Oct 23,2014 12:50) I think the addition showing them what topic, is making people think they can use the shoutbox to find help with partner quests.
Bazzy : (Oct 23,2014 12:49) Guys please, The shoutbox is NOT for partner requests. Please use the topic and await contact on there.
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 12:37) drink i can do heroes with you when you get to it
Jigerkiller : (Oct 23,2014 12:28) NIck i just mesaged you
Nick : (Oct 23,2014 12:24) I have went ahead and created a new account under the alias SOAhelp1 and am currently training on cows to successfully join a gang to defeat the level 21 opponent. If this does not take too long, I will be sure to regularly make these accounts (Free of charge) if the certificates do not deplenish quickly.
drinksimp : (Oct 23,2014 12:19) Add me if you need a black arm partner. Drink Simp
senug : (Oct 23,2014 12:12) For partner requests, please click the link above the shoutbox. There is no need with spamming out the shoutbox with partner requests. If you posted on the topic already, then be patient. :)
Jigerkiller : (Oct 23,2014 11:41) right
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 11:36) I wish I hadn't chosen pheonix gang lol so many needing black arms
Jigerkiller : (Oct 23,2014 11:35) so am i
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 11:29) Still looking for a black arms gang member for heroes. Had to run out to store suddenly earlier.
Jigerkiller : (Oct 23,2014 11:02) you should
Nick : (Oct 23,2014 11:01) Almost tempted to make a new account just to help with all these shield of arrav requests.

Photo

Cryptic Clue Fest IV

cryptic clue fest diamond jubilee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts
Click to view battle stats

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Alright, if you don't already know, the Cryptic Clue Fest (CCF) for this year has come and just a couple more days until the final clue is released.

~~~ Preface ~~~
The Cryptic Clue Fest is an annual festival which started in 2009. This year (2012) brings upon the 4th annual fest. The CCF requires both in-game and out-of-game interaction via the forums. Each day, for about 5 days, a clue is posted on the RuneScape Official Forums which demands decrypting to discover what items you need to deliver to a certain NPC in-game. To discover the NPC for each day, you will receive another clue from the previous' day NPC which also requires decrypting. This year begins with Essjay in Varrock Square and then the fun begins!

Important: You must bring your Jubilee basket to each and every contact, and the exact quantity of items required.

~~~ The Clues ~~~

~~ Day 1 ~~

Lor' luv a duck! I’m on me Toblerone to find me way to deadly thrill to hop across the Granite maul. Before I go I’ll buy me a nice blue Drape from Dick. Hope I don’t end up brown bread.

Gawdon Bennet! I was standin' in the Dover Harbour, in me favaaahrite Bobby Brown of Riots Galore. I fancied Kick an’ Prance, so I decided ter visi’ Dancing Feet and he gave me a pink brush n go.

Lawd above, while on me travels I ended up in Ships Come In where I find a great rub a dub where you can find a free pig’s ear on the Cain and Abel! Nuff said!

If you checked the forums for the 'Just for fun clues' prior to June 1st, you would know that the above clue uses Cockney rhyming slang. This is a dialect of London where the words in italics rhyme with what they actually are. Without giving the actual items here (look in spoiler); Granite Maul means Wilderness Wall, Bobby Brown of Riots Galore means town of Falador, and Ships Come In means Port Sarim.
Those hints give you the approximate location of the items; the actual items being 'blue Drape from Dick', 'pink brush n go', and 'pig’s ear'.

Take the items to Essjay and she will give you the clue for the first NPC.

The white-star & blue-shield, they house the building you must visit. A furnace to the west, a range to the east - accost the officer therein for a minute.

If you look at your home teleport emblems you should be able to figure out which town and then locate the 'officer' from there.

Solution
Spoiler

~~ Day 2 ~~

Sherlock Hulmes is an esteemed detective within Gielinor, aiding Roddeck with his initial Cryptic Clues from a couple of years ago, he has returned to solve an even more deviously difficult clue. Someone has been going around and hiding some potentially harmless items around RuneScape then removing them again! Preposterous! Using Sherlock Hulmes' powers of deduction and observation - can you solve the mysteries and guess what items were hidden?

Item 1

On the bush nearby the item, traces of an avian species was found as the items brushed past the bush

Whilst rummaging on the ground nearby, I caught a splinter in my hand which was curious - I was about 6 feet away from the nearest tree

The items had definitely seen some use and been weathered, a bluish rust was found at the scene of the hiding

Item 2

'Hidden' out by the Saradomin statue east of Varrock, the item was laid but when removed, a small damp patch lay where it sat

When the culprit removed the item, there was a struggle as if part of the item had solidified while trying to remove it

Part of the item that got left behind was a solid substance, it had turned a colour crossed between brown and orange

Item 3

Down in the Rimmington onion field the item was found, when removed again expensive gemstone dust was found

Whilst investigating the field, I found an onion uprooted with what looked like a stab wound

The crafty devil had covered his tracks with this item, I can't find anything other than the dust and the uprooted onion

Not exactly sure how to explain this one other than to search for keywords about each item. For the first item, each line describes an item used to create the actual item needed. The second item, the set describes how to create the item including where to find the base ingredient. The third item, the set describes the item and where to find it.

Take the items to the next contact given by the clue below.

Comestibles sold upon the shelves, a slammer and jetty nearby. Talk to the owner, and don't be a moaner, and the items he will surely supply!

Solution
Spoiler

~~ Day 3 ~~
This one is just an image, like a subway/underground map. The image looks strange with the background color, so I'll just post a link. http://i.imgur.com/yuxYm.png

This clue seemed rather simple to me, the black dots are the items you need. If you can find your bearings from anywhere listed on the map, you should be able to find the items. They are in the Falador, Varrock, and Lumbridge areas.

Proprietor of ascending sol, a house for making merry. She'll sell you a stout, but she'll give you a shout, if it turns out you're short of a penny.

Solution
Spoiler

Will post the new clues as I do them ;)

featured-member-may-june-2012-mcswindlerdr-who-signature-mcswindler.png
Kudos to Brandon for the sig!
Swindler.png

#2 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Continued here as I maxed the amount of quotes allowed >.<

~~ Day 4 ~~

Mod Timbo had invited 6 of the most prominent figures in all of RuneScape to a garden party, giving them time to relax in the sun with Wizard Mind Bombs and a buffet of freshly caught seafood from the coast of Catherby. Unbeknown to each of Timbo's guests, it was a ruse in order to blackmail each of them into giving up their rare items without having to fight them first! Timbo had acquired secrets about each, they were:

Nomad - What people think is Nomad is actually a scheming Dwarf called Honeydew inside a mechanical suit
Nex - While she was young, she practiced the ways of Saradomin before converting to Zaros
Lucien - Only stole the Stone of Jas to impress a lady and it all suddenly got out of hand but needed to continue impressing her
Wise Old Man - Uses magic to convince everyone that he's old when he's actually only 24 years old
Lord Drakan - Has hidden himself from public view due to him enjoying Twilight and being unable to face another since
Bank Clark - Using his inner knowledge of the Bank of RuneScape system, he has been siphoning off cabbages to fuel his addiction to the delicious vegetable

Aghast with this news, each of Timbo's guests were filled with anger and embarassment. Not wanting to cause a fuss at such a prestigious party, they each decided to not to give Timbo a present that they were planning on presenting at the end of the evening. Using their combat abilities would have been too easy but the denial of presents was something that they thought would definitely hit the right spot. The withheld presents were:

Nomad - An Iron pickaxe, the exact pickaxe that dug all of the underneath of Soul Wars
Nex - An Uncut sapphire, one of her favourite gemstones
Lucien - 10 Body runes, Lucien always thought a Disruption Shield would be useful in dire needs but wanted to give them out to a good friend
Wise Old Man - A Cowhide, a reminder of the 'good old days' of Gielinor
Lord Drakan - A Meat pizza, not quite the diet of Vampyre lords but delicious nevertheless
Bank Clark - A Cabbage, as part of his Cabbaholic Anonymous program he needs to handle them without eating one

The party carried on, guests and Timbo alike drank Gnomish cocktails and continued to eat specialty Rabbit sandwiches from Burthorpe. That was until three blood-curdling screeches could be heard from inside of the mansion. "Murder!" the waiter cried, "Murder in Timbo Mansion!". It was true, three people had been killed and only the guests could be to blame! Timbo gathered everyone, staff and guests included, at the Garden Party area for an emergency meeting. "Friends and guests, we have a murderer loose amongst the house!" Gasps came from all present, an elderly maid fainted in the background. "I am afraid to admit that we do not know who or where these murders were committed. We're bringing in a crack team of investigators who will be able to solve this. Bring in... THE PLAYERS."

Don't you wish it were as simple as bringing the items listed above. :P In the thread there are 8 rooms to 'investiage', I found the Dining Room to be rather insightful ;) Unfortunately, I can't replicate the exact thread because I can't post javascript, to get the full effect please check the thread on the official forums.

Kitchen - A simple kitchen fit for a mansion, pots and pans line the room as you enter in an orderly fashion aside from a couple that were presumably used for dinner. The main table island in the middle of the table lies strewn with cutlery, knives and chopping boards as if no-one had tidied since the last meal.

Ballroom - A jukebox sits in the corner of the Ballroom, stuck on a disc trying to change. The room is massive and the dancing floor shines as it covers the vast majority of the surface of the floor. There is nothing of note in the room or the floor save for the usual scuff marks from dancing.

Conservatory - A quiet room of solitude, Timbo used this room as his place to play RuneScape. A PC sits in the corner with a comfy leather office chair, the desk has a few assorted items such as empty soda cans. The rest of the room is sparse except for a table and a set of chairs.

Library - A vast library sits at the heart of the mansion, three floors of bookcases strech as far as the eye can see. There are three wings of book types, a running record of all of the items left on the floor in RuneScape, every thread that has ever fallen to page 51 and the name of every player ever called a 'noob'.

Study - As you enter the Study, you notice that it's an extremely dark and slightly dusty room that hasn't seen much use. A grand mahogany writing desk sits in the middle of the room, on the desk you notice what appears to be unfinished writing of some sort.

Hall - The grand hall of Timbo Mansion stands before with giant marble pillars and huge Gothic arches. Dressers litter the edges of the hall with doors to various rooms, occasional hatstand and painting on the wall.

Lounge - A huge room opens up ahead of you, theee 4 person sofas sit in the middle of the room with a low-standing table. An elaborate crystal chandelier sits off the ceiling, slightly slanted and the grand marble fireplace is roaring, heating the room.

Dining Room -It would be more appropriate to call this a Dining Hall, a resplendent dining table runs through the room like a wooden river able to sit up to 40 guests. It seems as if the laying of the table was disrupted, a pile of clean plates and napkins sits at the end. The head chair looks overly majestic, it seems as if Timbo is a bit pompous.

There is additional text within the post, if you know where to look. I suggest dragging your mouse along as you read the official post, especially while in the dining room.

A man who deals in quality cloths, a person with whom you can barter. If you can handle the sand, just try your hand and see if he's got what you're after.

Solution
Spoiler

~~ Day 5 ~~

Clue 1:
We hear the prenom of Robert from 802 for this offspring. (3)
A shortened friendslist which is initially under royal oath ambiguously is milled. (5)
This drink is fit for a thousand Empress of England who is missing mad Mat, but has the K. (4)

Clue 2:
Aethelred roughly lost his quick elemental shield in this stitch up. (6)
Point north east as these eight kings take fifty east. (6)
Particularly tough Aethelred without Edward about for this armour. (4,7)

Clue 3:
Fifty opulent Georges initially a bit wooden (3)
Like copper the 500th Queen fights with fists for this firemaker (9)
This great can't read about the start of our own royal ground (6)

This is a standard cryptic crossword. If you're American, you may not know about these :P The number at the end is the length on the answer. Each line is an item, put the three items together to get the final item. A trick to cryptic crosswords is that the answer can generally be found either at the front or end of the line.

Of green complexion and a rather hooked nose, she has a curious smile. She can mix you a potion without a commotion, but her bubbling broth smells quite vile.

Solution
Spoiler

~~~ Rewards ~~~
After completing all five clues, speak with Essjay to see a cutscene of the Queen arriving. Then you may speak with Big Ben to claim your crown and sceptre.
Diamond crown (members only)
Diamond sceptre
Posted Image

You may also speak with Roddeck in Lumbridge to claim any past Cryptic Clue Fest rewards you may have missed.

Swindler.png

#3 Alfawarlord

Alfawarlord

Site Admin / RHQ Clan Owner

• Site Admins
  • 4,158 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks james :thumbsup:

horsesig.jpg

#4 Hope

Hope

Hope Dreams

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,790 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hey thanks, explaining things a bit helps me figure them out, then of course the spoilers really help when I still have no clue. :turned:
queenhopefulness.png     gallery_111_5_1876.png

Hope Sig
                                                                 Thanks to Wolf's Custom Graphics

#5 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

*waits for the last clue*
Also, if it's like the previous years, you will be able to claim all the rewards from previous CCF's after completing this one by speaking to Roddeck in Lumbridge.

Swindler.png

#6 Arilu

Arilu

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks James :)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image <--Me when I am playing MW3.

#7 June Carter

June Carter

Interactive Imp

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

You can also claim past clues by talking to Avalani, she is the blue mage at the clan portals.
[url=http://www.rsbandb.com/]Posted Image[/url]

Spoiler

#8 Guest_Jars Mom_*

Guest_Jars Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

I can not get Hetty to take the last 3 items -I get a message to come back when I have all the items - I have them, I made the cake, I made the hardbody leather and I have the ashes from 3 different trees and nothing works.

I have tried to repeat day 4 but the Silk trader just gives me the clue for Hetty. I don't know what else to do here !!! Any suggestions?

#9 Guest_Jars Mom_*

Guest_Jars Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ok I got it - apparently you should not have anything but the 3 items and the basket.

#10 Super Fly

Super Fly

Community Crew Manager, RHQ Clan Staff, Events Team

• Managers
  • 1,909 posts

User's Awards

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

Really helpful! :D
Posted Image

#11 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

it pisses me off that they give away the past rewards i worked hard to figure those cluse out and they act like its nothing......

s5hjsj.png      kilvehk.png    2a7wy1z.png

thanks for the sig brandon!

312z02g.png    vrvoli.png

2eojfhh.png24qlhmv.pngiqvn7s.png

2vlsea0.png