Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Need a Shield of Arrav / Heroes Quest Partner? Click here!
Sliver : (Oct 24,2014 17:26) Senug has been awarded the events regular award! :D
diesellives4... : (Oct 24,2014 16:30) even if someone buys these flax, i'll pay 110K making you big proffit even buying and reselling, world 334
diesellives4... : (Oct 24,2014 16:29) muted, add diesel45645, meet in varrock small bank, i'll swap to your world, just send me a message, will be on a while
senug : (Oct 24,2014 16:28) Oooo Pest Control :D
diesellives4... : (Oct 24,2014 16:28) Oldschool rs
diesellives4... : (Oct 24,2014 16:28) Buying 2800 flax, 100k!
Sliver : (Oct 24,2014 15:36) RuneHQ Pest Control event starts in 1 hour 24m! World: 60 FC: Sliver
Robbie07731 : (Oct 24,2014 13:05) Back to sleep i go <.<
Robbie07731 : (Oct 24,2014 12:49) urrr, who woke me >.>
Misty Fuzzy : (Oct 24,2014 11:59) no no no no please no :(
James : (Oct 24,2014 11:41) Oh God.. the new horror quest will have jumpscares..
Misty Fuzzy : (Oct 24,2014 10:06) Looking forward to the pest control event tonight :D
Supremacy : (Oct 23,2014 20:50) I enjoyed the 1m profit from that event. :D
senug : (Oct 23,2014 18:49) Thanks for the Corp event, even though I turned up about half an hour late and got most of the drops, it was fun and with a few people, easily killed :)
senug : (Oct 23,2014 16:10) Corp hmmm??? I might not come to that, or I may be late for it. :D
Sliver : (Oct 23,2014 16:02) RuneHQ Corporeal Beast event starts in 58m! World: 67 FC: Bertie
Alfawarlord : (Oct 23,2014 13:28) yes they are 2 different accounts with separate stats, though you use the same login details
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 12:52) Are characters in old school runescape seperate from the current runescape?
RoseOfTheRaven : (Oct 23,2014 12:50) I did, was only replying to what he said
Bazzy : (Oct 23,2014 12:50) I think the addition showing them what topic, is making people think they can use the shoutbox to find help with partner quests.

Photo

Religion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
625 replies to this topic

#41 CriticalAcclaim

CriticalAcclaim

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

I believe in god and I don't believe in god.

You may wonder: Why does life even exist? Who created life? What I kind of believe is that someone created life, but it wasn't god. I mean how can we prove that its a dude in the clouds with angels flying around? I'm not saying that I don't believe in god but it's another thing to believe.

We will all find out once we die.

#42 Milk

Milk

Influential Iron Dragon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

I was born and raised a Catholic (religious schools and all that), but have been atheist for quite a while now. I'm atheist because that's what the scientific evidence points to. Right now, the theories of natural selection, evolution, the big bang etc. are the most plausible explanations for the existence of the universe and human life. I don't have much faith in these theories, however, because whilst to me they are the most plausible explanations now, I have no doubt that in the coming years and decades, as our understanding of our world and universe changes, these theories may be proved or disproved, changed, or new, more plausible ones may arise and take there place. Just like we look back at history, and laugh at how people believed that the earth was flat, or that all matter was created from earth, fire, and water. This doesn't mean we shouldn't believe in scientific theories (gravity is theory - but would you jump out of a building?), just that we must continually strive to prove or disprove them, and further our knowledge.
I believe in what scientific evidence suggests is most likely to be true. If this evidence changes, then so will my beliefs. If scientific evidence shows that a 'god' is likely the creator of life in the universe, for example, and that is the most plausible theory available, then I will believe it. However, evidence just doesn't show this, and such I don't believe in god(s).

I think I'm quite fortunate in that having a religious upbringing, I can see both sides of the argument, which I think is really important. If an atheist says that there is no god because there is bad in the world - a bit of research will show that Christians (and other religions) have many responses to the issue of suffering. Likewise, if a religious person mocks the idea of human evolving from monkeys, then they obviously have very little understanding of the theory at all. We all need to understand other peoples beliefs, and respect them.

You believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe what I want to believe. If people didn't try and force there beliefs on others, or look down on people who hold different beliefs to their own, then I think the world would be in a much better shape than it is now.

I don't normally enjoy talking about religion, but I think this is a really interesting debate and I hope I have contributed in some way towards it. :)

The Queen's message was rather Christian I must say.

She's head of the Church of England, what do you expect? :P

MilkN2Sugars.png
Proud Member Emeritus and former Leader of the Miners and Smithers of RuneScape clan.

'Speak when you are angry - and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret.' - Dr. Laurence J. Peter

'In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.' 
- Douglas Adams

#43 Nofu

Nofu

Able Abyssal Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

I am a Gnostic Theist in college trying to get my Biology Degree. What is interesting is how much I love science yet don't agree with one of the most accepted "facts" in science, Evolution. I have written a research paper on it and even have to take a Evolutionary Biology class soon.

Now I agree with Micro-evolution but can never accept Macro-evolution as a fact and I can debate that without religion or creationism.

Mr_Nofu.png

1000000000.png

I am a Caucasian male, Conservative, and Christian. The Triple C. I don't hate anyone and I don't want your money. I just want to keep mine. 

#44 Girls like BasedGod

Girls like BasedGod

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

I grew up in a christian household and was brought up christian for all my 15 years and counting... I respect peoples faith(or lack of faith.)

Sorry 4 the wait!

#45 Girls like BasedGod

Girls like BasedGod

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

I was born and raised a Catholic (religious schools and all that), but have been atheist for quite a while now. I'm atheist because that's what the scientific evidence points to. Right now, the theories of natural selection, evolution, the big bang etc. are the most plausible explanations for the existence of the universe and human life. I don't have much faith in these theories, however, because whilst to me they are the most plausible explanations now, I have no doubt that in the coming years and decades, as our understanding of our world and universe changes, these theories may be proved or disproved, changed, or new, more plausible ones may arise and take there place. Just like we look back at history, and laugh at how people believed that the earth was flat, or that all matter was created from earth, fire, and water. This doesn't mean we shouldn't believe in scientific theories (gravity is theory - but would you jump out of a building?), just that we must continually strive to prove or disprove them, and further our knowledge.
I believe in what scientific evidence suggests is most likely to be true. If this evidence changes, then so will my beliefs. If scientific evidence shows that a 'god' is likely the creator of life in the universe, for example, and that is the most plausible theory available, then I will believe it. However, evidence just doesn't show this, and such I don't believe in god(s).

I think I'm quite fortunate in that having a religious upbringing, I can see both sides of the argument, which I think is really important. If an atheist says that there is no god because there is bad in the world - a bit of research will show that Christians (and other religions) have many responses to the issue of suffering. Likewise, if a religious person mocks the idea of human evolving from monkeys, then they obviously have very little understanding of the theory at all. We all need to understand other peoples beliefs, and respect them.

You believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe what I want to believe. If people didn't try and force there beliefs on others, or look down on people who hold different beliefs to their own, then I think the world would be in a much better shape than it is now.

I don't normally enjoy talking about religion, but I think this is a really interesting debate and I hope I have contributed in some way towards it. :)

She's head of the Church of England, what do you expect? :P

Oh yeah I highly doubt we will get anymore evidence of that proves God is real (Unless you raptures his church of course)
But God wants you to have faith in him, it totally would ruin the faith part...

Sorry 4 the wait!

#46 Asocial

Asocial

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Scanning and reading through some of these posts I see that, of course, some people have been hurt by the [Christian] church which is regrettable and deplorable. Churches are the most visible part of Christianity; since they are made of bodies of people who (including me) are sinful and are, thus, imperfect. We can only hope to do our best to serve others and grow as people in His image.

"As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. "Teacher," his disciples asked him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?"

"It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "He was born blind so that the power of God could be seen in him."

John 9:1-3 (NLT)

Without suffering and toil, what is there really in the world to seek or strive for? Perfection would create complacency that would have people follow God for comfort and convenience.

#47 Guthix jr

Guthix jr

Interactive Imp

• Established Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Scanning and reading through some of these posts I see that, of course, some people have been hurt by the [Christian] church which is regrettable and deplorable. Churches are the most visible part of Christianity; since they are made of bodies of people who (including me) are sinful and are, thus, imperfect. We can only hope to do our best to serve others and grow as people in His image.

"As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. "Teacher," his disciples asked him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?"

"It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "He was born blind so that the power of God could be seen in him."

John 9:1-3 (NLT)

Without suffering and toil, what is there really in the world to seek or strive for? Perfection would create complacency that would have people follow God for comfort and convenience.

Don't Forget that God killed Jesus though. Just saying for the hell of it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#48 SweetMissVu

SweetMissVu

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Im a Deist. Believing that there is a higher power, but we control our own lives

Posted Image

I Play Runescape for Fun. Add me My RSN is : xFDchick

Kuroyuri-Black Lily *Mysterious and Beautiful like a Water Lily in Shadows* <3 Caesaerian

#49 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

lol i thought id take this opportunity to do a few hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

""Now it is such a bizarrely impossible coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The arguement goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.""
( this is in reference to the babel fish witch when stuck in your ear gives you the ability to understand any language as shown by the pic attached)

god final message to mankind " we apologize for the inconvenience" this was written in giant flaming letters on a mountain on a dessert planet in the middle of freaking nowhere in the most remote and hard to get to bit of the universe.

ok now that i got that out of the way lol i like to be right so i found a way to be right no matter what its actually true. nothing can be proven therefore anything is possible and because of the sheer number of possibilities nothing is actually probable.

Attached Files

s5hjsj.png      kilvehk.png    2a7wy1z.png

thanks for the sig brandon!

312z02g.png    vrvoli.png

2eojfhh.png24qlhmv.pngiqvn7s.png

2vlsea0.png

#50 Julien

Julien

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

So uhmm.. Question.

What would i be considered if i don't care for religion but not saying that i don't believe in it :o,? >_<

#51 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

agnostic i belive

s5hjsj.png      kilvehk.png    2a7wy1z.png

thanks for the sig brandon!

312z02g.png    vrvoli.png

2eojfhh.png24qlhmv.pngiqvn7s.png

2vlsea0.png

#52 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

ok now that i got that out of the way lol i like to be right so i found a way to be right no matter what its actually true. nothing can be proven therefore anything is possible and because of the sheer number of possibilities nothing is actually probable.

Seriously, half of your posts in this section say this. They don't contribute anything to the debates at all. I'm going to try to put an end to this.

Assume, for a second, that 1 + 1 = 3. Nevertheless, the entire human race insists that 1 + 1 = 2. Until the extinction of the species, whatever few people that suggested 1 + 1 = 3 have been mocked for lack of true evidence supporting their claims. Upon the statement of 1 + 1 = 2, humans have been able to build a huge foundation of mathematics and its branches with seemingly no problems.

Okay, so from a technical view humans are wrong. However, they are actually correct. Something that is right is yet to be proven incorrect. The evidence required to prove that 1 + 1 = 3 is not within the realm of human observation. As what cannot be observed ought not be regarded, to humans all evidence seems to indicate that 1 + 1 = 2, and therefore for them it i true.a

You're not actually "right no matter what is actually true", you're simply avoiding the question. That's like asking "What is 1 + 1" and answering with "a number". And by the way, your source "the pure epic logic that spews forth from my mind" is ridiculously ironic coming from someone that only speaks in paradoxes and awful grammar for your age (Yes, even if you insist that you have a disorder, shouldn't that humble you?)

billiam.png

#53 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Actually, you are wrong. Ever heard of the principle of falsification? Basically, if a theory cannot be proven wrong through rigorous testing using all methods available, then it is assumed right. Therefore, the responsibility lies with you to disprove it, rather than someone else prove it.
Posted Image

Thanks for the awesome signature Buck! :D

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#54 Hope

Hope

Hope Dreams

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,790 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

I am Christain and believe in the existence of God.

I cannot believe in the "Big Bang" theory because of what we know scientifically.

Examples:

the "known" universe: *could be sphere shaped, not proven or disproven yet* moving around a central object, in this case, the north star
the galaxies: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in the case the universe
the solar system: sphere shaped, planets moving around a central object, in the case the galaxy
Earth: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in this case the sun
atoms: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in this case the nucleus

Also, interesting, the bible refers to God being in the north, why is it that the north star is the only fixed object in the universe. Remember this was written long before man was even able to see the entire universe to know that the north star was a fixed object.

If there is design then that rules out the big bang theory, every bang I have witnessed created chaos not design
If there is design, then that implies there is a creator who designed it
If there is a creator, who was it, only theory we have is God

As for being atheist, saying that there is no god implies that you believe for a fact that there is no god. This means you have gone to and searched everywhere: planets, moons, stars, galaxies and know for a fact that there is no god.

If you have not been able to do this that means you believe there is no god but you can't prove the existence of a god, so now you are believing in something not seen, which is what religion is, "believing and having faith in something not seen."

So now you are an agnostic, someone who believes and has faith that there might not be a god but you can't yet prove it.

edit: fix typos

Edited by hope 1789, 14 June 2012 - 10:47 AM.

queenhopefulness.png     gallery_111_5_1876.png

Hope Sig
                                                                 Thanks to Wolf's Custom Graphics

#55 Nltrogen

Nltrogen

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Also, interesting, the bible refers to God being in the north, why is it that the north star is the only fixed object in the universe. Remember this was written long before man was even able to see the entire universe to know that the north star was a fixed object.

The north star is not a fixed object in the universe at all.
It appears to be on the same spot due to its location from Earth, and the Earth's orbit and rotation. Further more, the current Northern star will not be the same one in the future, or the past, as the Earth's orbit is elliptical and eccentric, with the entire solar system orbiting around the Galactic center of the Milky Way, the northern star will change:

There is a 26000 year cycle of the precession of the Earth's axis, tracing a circle in the sky
Currently the Earth's axis points to Polaris
5000 years ago, it points to a star in the constelation in Draco
12000 years ago, Vega was the northern star
In 14000 years in the future, Vega will be the northern star again

the galaxies: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in the case the universe
the solar system: sphere shaped, planets moving around a central object, in the case the galaxy

Galaxies and the solar system are FAR from a sphere shape
The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, which is about 100000 to 120000 light years in diameter, and only 1000 light years thick

Galaxies dont move around THE universe. Galaxy appear in clusters, which in the example of the Milky Way, is in the Local Group, which consists more than 54 galaxies in total. Milky Way is the second largest galaxy, behind Andromeda Galaxy in the Milky Way. Both the Milky Way and Andromeda have numerous satellite galaxies orbiting around them, both major galaxies are spiral galaxies, far from being a 'sphere'

Large individual astronomical objects appear to be spheres is due to the gravity and mass, simple laws of physics, not a 'skydaddy' designer.

In the end, if you conclude something unexplainable by science, due to the lack of technology, and lack of evidence yet to be discovered, and simply put in the gap with GOD, or whatever religious stories, then critical thinking is simply dead. If everyone thought of the world this way, we will still believe the Earth is the center of all things. We will still believe natural disasters are "High Beings in a Bad Mood". We will still believe diseases, simple as flu, is curse from Gods, and human sacrifices will solve the problem, rather than scientific research and technological outbursts.

Noragami.png

Noragami.png

#56 Supermancav

Supermancav

Element of Laughter

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

the "known" universe: *could be sphere shaped, not proven or disproven yet* moving around a central object, in this case, the north star
Earth: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in this case the sun
atoms: sphere shaped, moving around a central object, in this case the nucleus

I'm sorry, but your first two are complete incorrect and not based on science at all. The universe is not rotating nor moving about any central object (nor is the north star this object). The universe is expanding, not rotating. Second, not all galaxies are circular (I assume you meant circular, since sphere shaped would imply the galaxy looks like a ball, and the ones that rotate don't). There are several different types of galaxies, and while it's been a while since I've read up on it, I believe only one of them is circular and rotates about an object. That object is also not the universe, since galaxies do not rotate about the universe but rather forever expand away from the center. The center of most rotating galaxies is a super massive black hole.

In regards to atheism, no logical thinker is an atheist because it goes against logic. When someone says they are an atheist, they usual mean they are an agnostic atheist. Here's a chart to understand:

Posted Image

And here's a funny but sadly true picture:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eternal chaos means chocolate rain you guys. Chocolate rain!

#57 Nofu

Nofu

Able Abyssal Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Don't Forget that God killed Jesus though. Just saying for the hell of it.

Humans killed Jesus who willingly gave his life. Jesus could of easily stopped it all if he wanted.

Mr_Nofu.png

1000000000.png

I am a Caucasian male, Conservative, and Christian. The Triple C. I don't hate anyone and I don't want your money. I just want to keep mine. 

#58 CapuDie

CapuDie

Community Crew - Mentor / RHQ Clan Staff

• Community Crew
  • 2,811 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Humans killed Jesus who willingly gave his life. Jesus could of easily stopped it all if he wanted.

And how would Jesus have done that?
Are you implying Jesus had some sort of supernatural powers?
CapuDie.pngCapuDie.png

#59 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

We're assuming the Bible is true and correct here. I, for one, despite being (traditionally) Jewish, believe the Bible is nothing more than a collection of words and stories passed down from generation to generation. I don't think it's the word of 'God'. I believe it's more like...Easop's Fables, or the Metamorphoses.
Posted Image

Thanks for the awesome signature Buck! :D

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#60 CapuDie

CapuDie

Community Crew - Mentor / RHQ Clan Staff

• Community Crew
  • 2,811 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

I believe the bible provides wisdom and moral. Stories with a meaning behind them. But not to be taken literal.
CapuDie.pngCapuDie.png