Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Marzanna : (Sep 16,2014 14:13) Try looking here http://www.runehq.co...st-assistance/. You will have a better chance at finding someone or have someone finding you this way
kane b4 : (Sep 16,2014 11:37) HEYYYYY neeed help in shield of arrav quest
kane b4 : (Sep 16,2014 5:51) need someone to help me finishing shield of arrav quest please :) thanks
Super Fly : (Sep 16,2014 2:51) Gasp!
Dark : (Sep 15,2014 23:48) *throws pumpkin cookies to shoutbox*
Supremacy : (Sep 15,2014 21:29) I'll be there C:
St Squiggy : (Sep 15,2014 21:27) Also I'm getting 99 Defense in ~30 mins if anyone wants to come, the Lumbridge Crater at W44 :D
St Squiggy : (Sep 15,2014 21:24) I had seen that, nice :D
2003 Veteran : (Sep 15,2014 21:23) First trip to Zammy gwd ever - gets a 6.5m drop, and lucky me I was solo <3
Cloque05 : (Sep 15,2014 13:27) Happy Birthday Capu and Kunio - hope your day is great and you get lots of chocolate :) :birthday:
bellamorte : (Sep 15,2014 11:03) level 6 crashed star nardah bank world 50
Bob : (Sep 15,2014 11:02) The Crassian enemies beneath Ashdale have no weakness and their combat capabilities scales to your level.
drillablast : (Sep 15,2014 9:25) scout
drillablast : (Sep 15,2014 9:24) i cant seem to find info on the crassian scoout,im usualy a member with better fighting skills,but was away for awhile,cant kill them there weakness be good info
drillablast : (Sep 15,2014 9:23) Happy Birthday both of you
Kushie : (Sep 15,2014 8:02) happy birfdays,Capu & Kunio
Kunio : (Sep 15,2014 7:52) Thanks, everyone :D And happy birthday Capu!!!
LadySonic : (Sep 15,2014 5:32) Nvm its all good now
LadySonic : (Sep 15,2014 5:29) Anyone else atm not have the verified thing in the address bar for runescape ?
Katalex : (Sep 15,2014 5:23) Happy Birthday Capudie and Kunio!

Photo

Computer Help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts
Click to view battle stats

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I have been having some issues with a New computer, and i figure ill post here cause there are some super smart people out there :)

Heres what i have
Mother Board - Asus P9x79
CPU - Core i7-3820
RAM - G.Skill-NQ 6GB Kit (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 x2 (Replacing this)
GFX - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti WF2 2GB
HDD - Intel SSD-520 SATA3 120G

now after i put it all together i wanted to test it out so i fired up some games, but after any where between 2 and 40 mins the game would freeze, not just freeze the game, the whole PC just froze, there was nothing i could do, no ALT + F4 or CTRL + ALT + DEL nothig worked, i had o force a restart.

I only have 2 games on hand atm
(these were games i had backed up on an external HDD so was quick to copy them across instead of re downloading them cause i have pretty slow internet when it comes to big downloads) (listed below) and they both freeze, i was thinking about buying something super new like borderlands 2 or something but i have a feeling it will have the same result, so ill see what i can find out before i go spend mroe money
- Torchlight 2
- World of Warcraft

I have all upto date drivers and the usual stuff.

Now when i went and bought the parts i wanted, the guy at the shop (who in the past have never done wrong by me) told me my RAM would work for the new Mother Board, now tonight we figured out the RAM isnt compatible so im going to replace it tomorrow and see if it helps, even if it doesnt help with the problem im having, its gotta at least be better for the Mother Board lol.

so i guess my question is does any one have any tips about this
and does any one know if having the wrong RAM (even tho the computer recognises that its all there) culd it still cause the issue im having.

another quest i have is, the RAM im looking at getting is
- DDR3-1600 16GB (4x4GB)

MY Mother Board has 8 slots in it, 4 either side of the CPU and they are labeled as follows:

DIMM A1 A2 B1 B2 << CPU HERE >> DIMM D2 D1 C2 C1

so my question is, if i buy 4x4GB of RAM which 4 slots do i use, i have tried to google it and have found some people said to use:
A1 A2 B1 B2

and another thing i read said to use
A1 A2 C1 C2

any help would be so totally awesome :)

if any more info is required i will check the forums from my phone and post if i can with out being at my PC

Tabion360.png

Spoiler

#2 CapuDie

CapuDie

RHQ Clan Staff

• Community Crew
  • 2,763 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm guessing that the ram is indeed not compatible, either that or it wasn't connected properly. I'm not sure where to put the ram chips, but I'm sure others will :)

CapuDie.pngCapuDie.png

#3 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

I found a list of compatible ram, it wasn't listed so I'm defiantly replacing it.
I'm hoping it solves my issues but I'm just not well versed on the workings of RAM so we will have to see.
I really hope it fixes it tho :)

Tabion360.png

Spoiler

#4 Justic3 U

Justic3 U

Lecturing Lesser Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

I am sure that where you put it doesn't matter. I asked a question similar to this but it was about the colors. As long as your RAM is compatible with your motherboard, it will works. What's the name of your RAM?

#5 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Both the old ram and the ram I plan to get are in the origional post
Old: G.Skill-NQ 6GB Kit (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
New: DDR3-1600  16GB (4x4GB)
In sure on the brand but I know the type I need

Tabion360.png

Spoiler

#6 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

question: the old RAM you have listed "x2" at the end, am I correct in thinking you have 6 sticks total?

Also, the new and old RAM are the same type and both are compatible with your motherboard (looking at the specs on asus.com). I'm thinking that the list you looked at is probably a list of "suggested" vendors to get your RAM from.

I don't think what you are experiencing is a memory issue. You would either be running very slow or get a BSOD, not a complete lock out. You can run a memory test just to be sure, there's plenty of them out on Google.

It could be any number of other issues though. Can you tell if the HDD led is flashing after the PC freezes? If so, it's probably the GFX card, that would mean the PC is still running and doing things just not able to display on screen.
One thing I would also check is the connection from heatsink to CPU and other cooling mechanisms, it could be an overheating problem.

Do you, or the guy you bought from, have the ability to test each part individually? Like put the CPU in a different mobo (one that you know works) and see if you get the same results.

As for the memory placement, it doesn't really matter apart from having identical sticks in each channel. Personally, I fill them in alphabetical order, so A1A2B1B2.

featured-member-may-june-2012-mcswindlerdr-who-signature-mcswindler.png
Kudos to Brandon for the sig!
Swindler.png

#7 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

The list of ram I looked at was on the Asia site and the book that came with the MB and I just saw that mine wasn't listed so assumed that was bad, but found it strange tht windows still registered it as all being there.

I'm sure the store I bought it from could test them, would probably charge me an arm and a leg, isn't test it as I don't have any other parts for that socket type,
I'm sure the CPU get sink is connected well I took care putting that on,
All the fans are running
The only thing I havnt tried is running a program
(I have HWmonitor) to see if something over heats @ the point of the freeze, I guess I'll do thy tonight.

I have run the program with the system not running a game, like just browsing the web and stuff and the gfx card for example was 30c
And the CPU cores were around 40c

I'll have a look tonight and post my findings.

Also can u recommend any better way to test the heats?

Also when I bought the GFX card there was 2 that were the same, one was listed as OC'ed and the other was not, I chose the not OC'd one but the box says OC version I have no idea if tht means its OC'd or just means it can be.
Don't know how to check that either lol

Tabion360.png

Spoiler

#8 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

yea, Asus has a "qualified venders list" which means (or what I'm fairly certain it means) is Asus has some sort of partnership with those venders. It's just a marketing scheme to be honest.

You could always yell at them, be like "You sold me s*** hardware, if you don't let me test it thoroughly, I'll take my business elsewhere." You could also take a look at this guide (http://www.zdnet.com...ny-faults/16438) might be able to figure out the issue from running those individual tests.

I don't know of any better way to test temperatures apart from getting a temp. gun. I don't really think it's an overheating problem because most modern mobo's will cause a shutdown before getting to damaging temps. (as far as I know).

From what I found on the internet, there isn't a non-OC'd version of that GFX card, but I don't think that would be the problem specifically; they wouldn't sell a factory OC'd piece without being sure it's stable at those speeds. Could still be a different GPU issue, don't rule it out completely.

One thing I just thought of, how many watts is your PSU?

featured-member-may-june-2012-mcswindlerdr-who-signature-mcswindler.png
Kudos to Brandon for the sig!
Swindler.png

#9 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Corsair TX750w

Tabion360.png

Spoiler

#10 Tabion

Tabion

RHQ Clan Staff

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 1,519 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

just tested a few of the suggestions i got today and nothing worked, i even went back to my old GFX card and the same thing happened so i guess that rules out that

im gonna take it into my friend who works in a computer store and get him to look at it, see what he can figure from it. at least if he finds the fault i can probably claim it under warrenty

Tabion360.png

Spoiler