Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Bazzy : (Oct 01,2014 2:26) Windows ME, now that's a blast from the not so distant past
Super Fly : (Oct 01,2014 1:20) Windows: M8
Marzanna : (Sep 30,2014 18:48) aah nice. If I end up going after college I would try and be a 25M, but still at least 2 years out on deciding.
2003 Veteran : (Sep 30,2014 18:14) 88M
Marzanna : (Sep 30,2014 15:44) what mos you looking at going into @ veteran
2003 Veteran : (Sep 30,2014 14:51) Recruiter gave me a practice ASVAB test... Um yeah... I'm in trouble lol
Rednar : (Sep 30,2014 13:58) 7 forever
Sumurai8 : (Sep 30,2014 13:58) No, Rednar, Windows 9 is being announced today.
Marzanna : (Sep 30,2014 13:41) wait when did we get past XP?
Rednar : (Sep 30,2014 13:32) There was a Windows 9?
Sumurai8 : (Sep 30,2014 13:14) It's Windows 11.39
Mega Man : (Sep 30,2014 12:47) That Windows 10 announcement. The start menu was the first thing that caught my attention
The Cardinal : (Sep 30,2014 12:33) Its been bothering me for a while :)
Bazzy : (Sep 30,2014 12:15) or do we keep the right free... I honestly have no real clue
Bazzy : (Sep 30,2014 12:14) But personally I'm not a fan of other people, so I'll happily just stand on the left without moving.
Bazzy : (Sep 30,2014 12:14) yeah think we keep the left clear for people wanting to run straight up
senug : (Sep 30,2014 5:21) sorry left I meant
senug : (Sep 30,2014 5:21) Usually for example in underground stations escalators, if you are not walking down or up the stairs and just standing, we stand on the right side and those that want to climb up or down do so from the right.
Bazzy : (Sep 30,2014 4:46) We drive on the left hand side of the road yes, but we walk up the stairs any way we like.
The Cardinal : (Sep 30,2014 4:22) If in America, you drive on the right side of the road and go on the right side of the stairs, does that mean in England , since you drive on the left side of the road, you walk up the left side of the stairs?

Photo

RuneHQ Contest: Combat Beta

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 Lilroo503

Lilroo503

Intellectual Ancient Mage

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

One feature of RuneHQ we've regrettably been absent in over the past few years have been contests, giveaways, or any other way for our members to receive prizes. Starting today, that will change. We'll kick it off with a very basic competition, and over time we'll continue doing more competitions and giveaways. For example, we're already in the preliminary stages of a contest idea for the winter holiday time! With that said, let's get down to the details!

The Competition
Using between 50 to 200 words and tell us one thing you like about the upcoming combat update, or one constructive piece of feedback, and explain why.

Simply make a post in this topic (create a RuneHQ forum account first if needed) and reply to that statement with your thoughts. If you make a valid post (must be on subject and within the word limit), you are entered to win a prize!

The Prizes
- There will be one (1) top prize winner. The prize is three months of membership and 75 Squeal of Fortune spins. This person will be hand-picked amongst what we feel is the most well thought-out post. It could be a humorous post, a unique thought, a normal issue that is stated well, or anything else that might appeal to us. The final say on this winner will ultimately be up to the Administrators with input from the rest of the staff.
- There will be two (2) other winners. The prize is one month of membership and 25 Squeal of Fortune spins. These people will be randomly selected from all other valid entries. This means you don't need to have the best writing skills to win. So long as you make an attempt and it's a valid post, you have a chance to win!

These prizes are courtesy of Jagex, so make sure you show them love if you win!

Timeline
The competition starts RIGHT NOW. The ending time will be approximately two weeks from today. Sunday, August 19th at 11:59pm CDT (UTC-6) is the last time for new entries to be submitted. We will then allow up to seven days for us to sift through the entries and choose the winners. Winners will be announced at that time.

Terms and Conditions
- We reserve the right to change anything relating to this contest at any time without notice.
- The Competition Statement says "constructive feedback". If you make a negative comment with little to no attempt of being constructive, your entry will be invalid.
- We will not be going to every person and stating if your post is valid or not. If you really can't figure that out on your own, consider rewording it. If you still aren't sure, PM an Administrator with your entry beforehand.
- All RuneHQ Staff groups are ineligible. This competition is about the members!
- One entry per person. Multiple entries may result in disqualification.
- By submitting an entry, you grant RuneHQ use of your entry at any time on any page associated with RuneHQ. If Jagex wishes to publish the entries, we (RuneHQ) are also allowed to give them permission.
- Winners will be notified through both the PM system and through email. You must have a valid email to be eligible to win a prize (you will be required to reply to the email).
- Winners must acknowledge their prize within 7 days. Failure to do so will result in the prize being given to someone else.
- All decisions are final.

Closing
As always, if there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. You can either ask in this topic (will not count as an entry) or you can PM any Administrator. Let's hear those thoughts!

#2 Sliver

Sliver

Events Team Manager / TS Staff / Clan Staff

• Managers
  • 4,075 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Good luck to everyone participating! :D This should be interesting to hear what people think about the combat beta.

Sliver.png

Sliver.gif

#3 Guest_asd29_*

Guest_asd29_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Oh yeah I wanna experience being a member! Good Luck to everyone guys!

#4 Dark

Dark

Content Editor (PIM)

• Content Editors
  • 900 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

DarkAdvisors Thoughts

My thoughts on the combat beta have enlightened me to be a more active Runescaper. Between the new combat inferface and the new equipment looks, overall this beta has been the most exciting. The one thing I mostly like about the upcoming combat rework is the way we kill monsters and players. The general feeling of playing a MMORPG is how you interact not only with PVM but also PVP. With this new rework of combat system, It will give the true feeling of a MMORPG such as World of Warcraft or any other top MMORPG's.

21n2m12.png

Thanks for the signature corey :D!

#5 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,610 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Here's my entry :D

One thing I dislike about the Combat Beta is the lack of catalytic runes necessary on the normal spellbook. With the catalytic runes gone, elemental spells are now a fraction of the cost to cast; at the time of writting, Fire Surge costs ~827gp, ~165gp in Beta. Utilizing an air staff, one could essentially train magic for free casting air spells. I simply suggest adding the catalytic runes back to the spell cost, it would create a logical differentiation between the strength of spells, instead of 1 measly air rune doing 100 extra damage (or however much it may be).
Looking at magic in a chemical sense; the stronger the catalyst, the stronger reaction; meaning the more damage done. The key being that a stronger catalyst is needed. Elemental spells in Beta do not require that catalyst to provide the extra kick, yet still produce it somehow.

featured-member-may-june-2012-mcswindlerdr-who-signature-mcswindler.png
Kudos to Brandon for the sig!
Swindler.png

#6 Guest_dancing lark_*

Guest_dancing lark_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

I have been on Beta in the weekends and I must say I still find the abilities box thingy a bit unwieldy, I daresay I'll get used to it but it'll take a bit of quiet practice

#7 Seinami

Seinami

Annihilator of Dreams

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

My Entry:

|| I personally love the beta, not just for it's new more intensive combat situations, but it's far more interesting and less time intensive on various combat skills, such as Slayer or Range. Range for me in RuneScape has been slow to level because of rising costs of supplies and the failure of the accuracy of hits, Range armor or not. From the basic first few levels to a Maxed player with all stats required for all skills, it's just a brand new game for me and people I've shown the game to. When on Beta weekends I can show people who've thought of RuneScape as dull and boring game actually tried to pry me off the computer to play it. Of course I stayed on, but they almost immediately asked me how to get on it. I accept the changes that the combat beta will bring to the game, not like the crybabies who can't handle change. Let them quit, much more will come and subscribe to the game for all of it's epic content. ||

-Kairi.
--RSN: Soul Kairi

Edited by Seinami, 07 August 2012 - 07:47 AM.

Angel_Seina.pngAngel_Seina.png

I, Kairi , hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#8 Guest_freak1358_*

Guest_freak1358_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

this is my entry.
combat beta for me was a place where i can have a bit of fun after the hard long hours of skilling in the normal world, i realy enjoy the new combat styles, the new armor additions, and the main and offhand weapons to make it so tactics are in use, most of all when i played it for the first time i just thought WOW great effort jagex!

rsn: Shad0wxFreak

Edited by freak1358, 06 August 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#9 Guest_McNoobed_*

Guest_McNoobed_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

Combat beta should be pretty sweet. Combat is going to be even and Pking is going to be more exciting. The new armor add ons, styles, etc are awesome. I think this is a huge step for runescape and I am excited to see how this plays out!

#10 Pandora x

Pandora x

Nyan Cat

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

I like the combat update because it feels more involved. The system we have now simply involves picking a weapon/spell, clicking on a monster/npc and hoping for the best. Fighting in the beta, it feels like you're more in control. You can choose from a massive range of abilities, and it seems more based on good choices and skill, rather than just having good levels and being able to click quickly.
I've always felt at a disadvantage fighting bosses in Runescape - I can't prayer switch, change tabs quickly, click at top speed, and I suffer from the lag quite badly some days. It's meant I'm too afraid to go fight some of the bigger bosses with friends, as these monsters are able to kill me very quickly and I don't have time to react.
I think once the evolution of combat is released, and I'm used to using the action bar, I will find this much easier and a lot less daunting, knowing I have some good abilities to help me do a lot of damage and avoid dying, and that I can put all the necessary things in that one bar.

6b82860532358933c8fda065e2d286f0.png?136  36173.png

There are so many things we see every day but never look at, aren't there? Or look at every day but never see.  â€”  Wizard Traiborn

#11 June Carter

June Carter

Interactive Imp

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

I love how even if I didn't spend days trying to get vengeance, I still can use a power that does damage back, I love how if you're fighting someone and you run out of food, you still have a chance to live if you use an ultimate or one of them that heal you, I love how we have outside of combat powers that help heal us and rest, we don't have to buy really expensive weapons to at least have a chance, we actually have a great chance with our weapons, the new health system makes it really hard to get rushed, Now, if you are in the wild you can't get pjed, you can keep attacking the guy you were about to kill, and if you are getting piled you can get a friend. Now that the game involves powers it's not just a clicking game, it actually involves interaction.and for the people that want to still keep it simple, they still let them do that. Jagex left us with a choice to use the old system or new system. I don't care what anyone says about this update it's going to be for the best, some of us Veterans will get the hang of it, at first I was like noooo I don't want to have a new way to fight I've been using this so long. I played the beta for about 40 minutes and I was hooked I have gotten more beta time than I have real game time lately.Adding to all of this, the beta will attract more players, which is good for Runescape's and Jagex's economy which is better for us because they will be able to spend more money to better improve the game, and do more promotions, tell me that's not awesome!

Edited by June Carter, 07 August 2012 - 01:38 AM.

[url=http://www.rsbandb.com/]Posted Image[/url]

Spoiler

#12 Guest_silverboyx_*

Guest_silverboyx_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

Here's my entry;

I am not that really fond of the combat beta update. Why?
Because I think the people that developped it kind of betray the roots of runescape, this game has always simply been "click to attack" and this simplicity is what makes runescape so extremely fun and unique!
And with all due respect it kind of looks like the combat system of World of Warcraft, and if I wanted to play a game with said combat system, I would play WoW, because that combat system is what makes WoW unique and not Runescape.
I'm not saying you should delete this combat beta, im simply pleading you don't replace Combat Alfa by Combat Beta, because I would really hate that.
I don't know if Id stop playing if these systems would fuse, but I'd probably never fight again.
Another small reason what I dont like combat beta is because it clearly shows that runescape doesn't seem to be wanting to stay the same.
I mean, all these updates (including combat beta), are, I think, ruining your game and betraying your roots.

Sincerely, Silverboyx / Rashgarroth

P.S.: I realise this might not seem to be positive feedback but, as I mentioned in said feedback, it's more of a plea for you not to fuse combat alfa en combat beta and dus changing the game even more.

#13 Guest_DaBasedGod_*

Guest_DaBasedGod_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

My thoughts on the Combat Beta are a bit mixed. While it does have its flaws, I can see that it has great potential if used correctly. The idea of having brand new abilities being introduced to the game opens up many possibilities for new and veteran players. I also like the new health system and the ability to dual wield weapons. One thing I don't like is that they would be taking away the special abilities that already exist. I think that they should include these weapon specific abilities when they release the completed version. A lot of people have said that they would quit because of the new combat system, but i think that's because most of these players are too used to clicking the mouse once and have everything done for them. I'm sure Jagex will be able to create a result that most of us loyal players will enjoy.

#14 Guest_Blaizicus_*

Guest_Blaizicus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

My Opinion on the evolution of combat is mixed, I have been playing for many years now, and it just somehow doesn't feel right.... But I like it too... Ok hear me out! :L

I feel that its going to make the combat fresh and more involving, and it should deal the problem of bots (should being used lightly) And not much more is fun then saving up a full bar then sending a goblin into orbit... But It's making it seem likes it a different game... Runescape was built around its simplicity... and the change of health and the change in health bonuses on Armour is going to be real confusing... My opinion is they should release new specials, but not go over the top, as so many players are against it. :D

Well that's my go at it :)

#15 Guest_Doc C_*

Guest_Doc C_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

Alright, so I have Mixed Feelings about this Evolution of Combat.

I think that its very creative, and much of it is very enjoyable! Playing some of the PvP Minigames can be a lot of fun, button mashing abilities and so forth amuses me greatly. Furthermore, I think that the Combat Triangle has been rebalanced perfectly. No Longer do Melee Users dominate everyone else(I myself favour Range and Magic). The new combat system is much more dynamic, colourful and exciting, however it can be confusing at first, and some of the numbers need to be made clearer.

Overall I think the EoC is relatively OK, it just needs a lot of cleaning and brushing up!

#16 Guest_iwarriorfool_*

Guest_iwarriorfool_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

I know that some people don't like the combat beta, but do not take their opinion! Make sure you try it out for yourself because you may have a whole different perspective. Then you can come here and tell us about your opinion. If u do not like it at first i advise you to at least give it another try to see how u like it. And if you still don't like try it from a different prospective you may find it to be really cool.

If you ask me how I think of the beta, I would say it is pretty good, but I think that when it comes out of the beta stage it will be much better.

#17 Guest_nicolai449_*

Guest_nicolai449_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Hey everyone

At my point of view i can't see any thing negative at the new update, they just make it all look cooler

I think the Evolution of Combat, will become a great new update. Especially because of the new Combat panel, which you can use to everything, you can choose to put in abilities or emotes, even food when PvPing or doing PVM. The way they made combat, is simply the best. They made the new combat system, in a way that don't make one person to a ranger, and another one melee, you can now decide to have one ranged Weapon and one melee. Which provide you with an ability to counter the opponent with no problems at all. The new set of abilities to ranged, magic and melee weapons, have made the new PvP more dramatically, it's not just damage that does it all now, you can also do defence with out getting punched in the face. It will make, the mages less dominating lower levels, because of the dual wield thing, which will provide a good distance damage, including dramatically melee fights.

From what i have seen can it only become a good game update, with a lot of cool stuff.

#18 Yeldarb12

Yeldarb12

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I feel the best part of the combat beta is the action bar. It not only allows quick use of abilities but also allows use of potions, food, and even specific prayers without having to switch tabs. Outside of combat the action bar also has awesome uses such as dropping an inventory full of iron ore very quickly. Because of the many uses of the action bar, it will have uses for even skillers who would otherwise be left out of the biggest update in Runescape history. This is one aspect of the update that I am greatly looking forward too.

30flyingcows.png

timmy.png

#19 Paintball

Paintball

Eppur si muove

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Good luck to everyone!
Posted Image
Signature by Brandon

#20 IIamfish98

IIamfish98

woopwoopwoop

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

My entry! :D

My favourite part of the combat beta is: the fact that now all combat styles are able to stand a chance against one another, and how well the combat triangle has been re-balanced, I can now use magic against melee without getting torn. Also my second most favourite thing are the abilities and how you have to implement strategic tactics to gain the upper hand. :)
IIamfish98
PROJECT:6IX

IIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.png

IIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.pngIIamfish98.png

I, IIamfish98 hereby pledge to never support gold selling sites,
I will not use a bot, nor will I sit in silence while I watch others bot.
We are the solution.

KOrOm.png <-- He has feelings :OOOO