Sign in to follow this  
Rickeo

Is RuneScape Declining?

Please don't burn me at the stake  :P

I love RuneScape but I can't help but feel it's had it's glory days.

When skilling it's rare I come across anyone outside of Varrok/Burthorpe or main spots like this.

When I visit RS main forums or fan forums they're pretty much very inactive or dead, even the official RS subreddit is a lot less lively than other MMO's.

I just feel this game has been majorly declining for some time and that makes me really sad :(

Thoughts?

Edited by Rickeo

Every game has its high points, this can not be ignored. Runescape has had some really rough spots in its past as well. Overall I think we aren't declining, but in a steady place. Even though runescape may not be as big doesn't mean we are declining either, we are just a smaller group.

q5TaXRk.png?1

Yeah people do think that on occasion, but I think it's just normal flow up and down. Fansites in general have declined somewhat, even Zybez closed recently (the site itself, the forums are still active). I think it's just how people interact with the game now.

user1-dark.png

People have been saying that and asking if the game is in decline for what?  5? 6 years now?  And yet here we still are.  It had a big decline at one point though it was more due to the bots being kicked out.  

• Like 2

Awards

Here are a few other factors to keep in mind. .

1. Several different versions of RS available
  2. Numerous amounts of worlds in all versions
  3. Instances

Have we as a gaming community had set backs?  Sure. Do I see the game ending anytime soon?  Not a chance.  Personally,  I like having areas to my self.  I enjoy going to an area (let's use combat) and not having to hop 20 times to find an open world, only to be crashed by someone who doesn't feel like hoping to find an empty world of their own. 

• Like 1

user1-dark.png

Awards

I feel that since RS3 came out, old school lost a lot of its members. I, for one, actually enjoy this a lot more than I thought I would when I started playing again. Mainly because it allowed me to skill where ever I wanted without being bothered, and if I did come across someone that was crowding me, I could just hop worlds. Also, I find it a lot easier playing mini games like this as well because you just go to that particular world and there you go!

Unless, of course, you are trying to play the pirate one with the wine (forgot the name).

• Like 1

VtNrUCu.png

<3 Red

Awards

I think it depends on who plays and when they paly. Also memories are made though experience. I have had some great times and most of that is learning the game and playing minigames like castle wars with friends and clan wars and such. It is what you make it. For us that have played for 1 year it may have, but new players not a chance.

user1-dark.png

More and more players are becoming hermits - myself included. We get stuck in a routine with the occasional, rare friendly interaction, no matter how brief it may be, sufficing the MMO aspect of the game. Sad truth, but nothing too terrible when the game itself still seems to be doing well. There are many other alternatives to RuneScape out there nowadays. Other games I aspire to play and do play are console rather than PC - so I can play (AFK) them both :P. Which, in turn, may also seem why the game is dying in areas there are players when everyone is tabbed out.

Awards

More and more players are becoming hermits - myself included. We get stuck in a routine with the occasional, rare friendly interaction, no matter how brief it may be, sufficing the MMO aspect of the game. Sad truth, but nothing too terrible when the game itself still seems to be doing well. There are many other alternatives to RuneScape out there nowadays. Other games I aspire to play and do play are console rather than PC - so I can play (AFK) them both :P. Which, in turn, may also seem why the game is dying in areas there are players when everyone is tabbed out.

I find myself like that what's the point of having a conversation on RS if most of the time no one even responds. thats why i like playing single players on xbox, better then the trash talking multiplayer community that most MMO have become Edited by Wick

Lots+a+LOUD.png

True. Runescape is now a game where you can leave your computer for moments and do real life things and come back and leave again...Why not?

user1-dark.png

True. Runescape is now a game where you can leave your computer for moments and do real life things and come back and leave again...Why not?

It has been that way for nearly 10 years in varying degrees.  Now of course more than every but there has been afk scape for a very VERY long time.  

• Like 1

Awards

I haven't played in 5-6 years, had some time and decided to check it out.  I agree about there being different versions, many worlds to choose from, thus spreading players out.  But, compared to back several years ago, there definitely seems to be far fewer players.  Worlds used to fill up and you'd have to wait to get in the popular ones.  I suppose with Christmas/Holiday event coming up, it will boost player numbers. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game again.  I never found an online game I liked as well as Runescape.

• Like 1

I haven't played in 5-6 years, had some time and decided to check it out.  I agree about there being different versions, many worlds to choose from, thus spreading players out.  But, compared to back several years ago, there definitely seems to be far fewer players.  Worlds used to fill up and you'd have to wait to get in the popular ones.  I suppose with Christmas/Holiday event coming up, it will boost player numbers. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game again.  I never found an online game I liked as well as Runescape.

Several years ago the bot nuke had not happened and you had upwards of 200k bots online at a time.  

• Like 1

Awards

I find myself like that what's the point of having a conversation on RS if most of the time no one even responds. thats why i like playing single players on xbox, better then the trash talking multiplayer community that most MMO have become

I noticed that a lot of people just do their own thing. Also, a lot of people get reported for botting now because they aren't talking. I had one dude follow me around from world to world pking me while I was running runes. I was just like, "Why are you doing this?" and he said it was because I'm a bot. That was the day that I learned about turning your private chat off so that you appear offline.

• Like 1

VtNrUCu.png

<3 Red

Awards

I noticed that a lot of people just do their own thing. Also, a lot of people get reported for botting now because they aren't talking. I had one dude follow me around from world to world pking me while I was running runes. I was just like, "Why are you doing this?" and he said it was because I'm a bot. That was the day that I learned about turning your private chat off so that you appear offline.

I find it so odd how it seems in the last 4-5 months people just claim/assume everyone is botting.  Like yeah I get it that the community isn't the most talkative these days but thats a by product of AFKscape that has been created.  I don't often message back in public because I am watching youtube or netflix.  Jagex must get so many false reports of botting....... 

• Like 1

Awards

Definitely agreed. I played a lot in mid-2000s, but have started to play a little more often as of late (the days of $5 membership). The player population has seemed to decline from what it was in 2004-2007, but regardless the game still garners just as much development support now as it did then which Jagex has historically done well at.

• Like 1

x%20Symbolic%20x.png

Awards

Definitely agreed. I played a lot in mid-2000s, but have started to play a little more often as of late (the days of $5 membership). The player population has seemed to decline from what it was in 2004-2007, but regardless the game still garners just as much development support now as it did then which Jagex has historically done well at.

The true physical REAL player population has not declined as much as people think.  People think back to when there was near 250k people online at a time and see there is only like 50k currently.  The difference was all bots for the most part.  There was some slight decline but minimal and I believe the last 6 months or so has seen some growth (though minimal).  

Awards

Every game you play will never be the same as when it first came out. Just the way it works it seems. 

• Like 1

Beep. Boop.

Every game you play will never be the same as when it first came out. Just the way it works it seems. 

So so true.  Runescape lifespan is nothing short of amazing to be honest.  Considering how the gaming industry has changed so dramatically since RS began.  Think of how many big name PS or XBOX games have had a life span past even 5 years not to mention nearly 15.  

Awards

So so true.  Runescape lifespan is nothing short of amazing to be honest.  Considering how the gaming industry has changed so dramatically since RS began.  Think of how many big name PS or XBOX games have had a life span past even 5 years not to mention nearly 15.

The updates have kept this game alive adding new skills, quests. Some updates like taking away free trade and the wilderness cause the games numbers to drop but i didnt know any difference cause i joined RS in 2008 right after those features were taken away only got to feel what it was like when they added them back again in 2011

Lots+a+LOUD.png

Hello, this topic has been locked. There are many possible reasons for this...

• the question you are asking has been answered,
  • you may have posted in the wrong forum,
  • the topic could be degenerating into/has already started a flame war,
  • the posts were straying too far from the original topic.

Your topic may have also expired. This means that no one has posted on it for a while, and it would be better to start a new topic to keep the conversation fresh.

This list of reasons that your topic may have been closed is given instead of a specific reason because moderators have the option to close multiple topics at once, with this standard reply added to the topic. This is much faster than closing multiple topics manually, and gives us more time for our other work.

If you have any further questions as to why this topic was closed, let me encourage you to check the FAQs, and to PM me if you do not find the answer there.

Have a nice RuneHQ day. :D

RSN: Uncle Si | Clan: Carnival | Forum Rules

Any questions? PM me!

user1-dark.png

frp5ZyV.png

Awards