Talk to Gudrik in his house southwest of Taverley bank and ask him about A Shadow Over Ashdale. He will tell you that supply ships to Ashdale have discovered that the island has been completely deserted and he wants you to go and investigate for him. Accept the quest and board the ship moored at the dock to the west.
Once you arrive at Ashdale, head north up the stairs into the town and you'll come across a building with lights on and find Lucy inside. Talk to her and go through the options to learn that the townspeople have been taken away by mysterious creatures that recently appeared on the island. You'll then ask her how to reach the other side of the island and she will suggest using the sewer system which can be accessed through the storm drain behind her house.
Go down the stairs behind the house and enter the storm drain to find yourself in the sewers. Follow the tunnel around until you reach the large room and after a brief cutscene, you will be attacked by a Crassian scout which uses attacks scaled to your combat level, so don't underestimate it. If you happen to die, you will respawn at the start of the sewer.
- Once the scout is dead, continue following the sewer until you encounter another scout in the ladder room. Kill this one and climb up the ladder and you'll now find yourself back on the surface of Ashdale behind a house on the waters edge.
Head around the house and west, then cross the bridge to the west of the house and continue heading south until you find two more scouts. Kill them both, then open the gate and enter the building to the south.
Search the table to find a Journal entry detailing the writer's plan to include an entrance to a cave system below Ashdale into a house he is building, then inspect the Bust to reveal a hidden staircase in the floor. Climb down this to access a cavern containing two more scouts.
(click image to enlarge)
- Kill both of the scouts and search the body of the dead smuggler to find a Smuggler's journal which will inform you that the caves were being used by smugglers who accidently awoke the Crassians, explaining why the creatures seem have suddenly appeared from nowhere.
- Now continue east to find a rather simple puzzle involving barrels of water which open the door.
- First take the Valve inner wheel, Pitch and Valve outer wheel from the boxes near the door.
- Combine the two valve parts to make a Valve wheel.
- Repair the socket of the middle barrel using the wheel and use the pitch on the leaking section of the pipe near the door to repair that as well.
- Finally, starting with the northeast barrel, move the water from barrel to barrel by turning each of the valves and eventually it will reach the door and unlock it.
- In the next cave you'll find the missing townspeople trapped inside Crassian pods. However, ignore these for now and kill the scouts in this room to break the barrier in the southeast corner. You can search the chest in this cave to find 125gp and an Uncut sapphire.
- Once the scouts are dead and the barrier is open, go through the broken barrier and you'll encounter a Crassian warrior that cannot be attacked. If it spots you, you will be killed in one hit, but respawn at the barrier. To get past the warrior, when the warrior is not looking, pull the lever on the wall to activate a spike trap that will kill it. Now continue down the tunnel.
You'll soon come across another warrior circling a room with a barrier preventing you from continuing, so you'll need to pull the lever on the wall without being spotted to kill the warrior and destroy the barrier.
In the next room there is no barrier and you'll just have to avoid the warrior without being seen and run into the third room where there is another lever to kill the warrior and destroy another barrier.
- Before the next area with warriors, there is an offshoot to your right that has a chest containing 500gp and three Uncut sapphires.
The next cave is a little more tricky as there are four warriors patrolling in two circles which you must avoid. Get past the first two warriors without being seen. Once you are past the first two warriors, wait for a warrior to pass you and then follow them to make your way around the second circle. Once you reach the lever on the north wall, pull the lever in order to kill the four warriors and break the barrier.
- Now make your way west and kill the two scouts here and loot the chest to obtain 132gp and an Uncut emerald.
Board the ship. Four tentacles will now appear which you must kill. Attack one and watch out for when it starts to shake as it will hit you hard and stun you. To avoid this, run to the opposite side of the deck before the tentacle slams down. Once all four are dead, a cutscene will play in which a large creature called Agoroth breaks through the deck.
Note: If you happen to Log-out during the final boss fight, you will spawn back by the dock in Tavelry, and to restart the fight/return to Ashdale, simply board the ship again.
As with previous combat in this quest, Agoroth's attacks are scaled to your combat level and can deal high damage. It will mainly attack you with it's claws, but will also occasionally fire a blast of water at you which hits rapid damage unless you avoid it. At around half health, it will start using another attack in which it shields itself and black squares appear on the deck. Move out of these squares immediately otherwise you will be hit very hard after a few seconds.
Once Agoroth is dead, the townspeople will be freed and you will be thanked by Lucy in another short cutscene. You'll then appear back in Gudrik's house and can claim your reward.
Congratulations! Quest Complete!
Note: Players can still access the dead man's chest in the Ashdale Caves to repeat the battle against Agoroth, giving a black pearl (or coins) with bonus xp in any skill equal to that of a Medium fallen star. This can be done once per week for free players or twice a week for members.
This Quest Guide was written by Javezz. Thanks to Mr Tudjay, The Cardinal, Ezekiel_3000, and LizzyBoredom for corrections.
This Quest Guide was entered into the database on Tue, Apr 22, 2014, at 01:11:35 PM by Javezz, and it was last updated on Sat, Jan 10, 2015, at 02:37:06 PM by Jarkur.
If you see this guide on any other site, please report it to us so we can take legal action against anyone found stealing our content. This guide is copyrighted by RuneHQ, and its use on other sites is expressly forbidden. Do not ask if you can use our guides or images, the answer is and always will be NO!