- All RuneHQ Forum Rules apply!
- Impersonating staff members or other users is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to changing your name to resemble another user, adding the word "Admin" or other such words if you are not, and vocally pretending to be someone you are not.
- Push-to-talk must be activated on all users. This is to prevent feedback and the echo effect.
- Music is not allowed to be played through the server. Background music is fine so long as other users can hear your speech, but simply playing a song is not allowed.
Ventrilo is a voice communications program. To speak on Ventrilo, you need a microphone, although it is perfectly fine to be on the Ventrilo server without a microphone.
If you have questions after reading this guide, please visit our topic on Ventrilo.
- Download the Ventrilo client from Ventrilo. Be sure to get the client and not the server.
- Run the installation file and start the program.
- Visit this forum and request a Ventrilo account to be created. If you would like more information, please visit this topic. Your Ventrilo username must be your RuneHQ display name, and your Ventrilo password must be generic. Please be sure to NOT use your RuneHQ forum or RuneScape account password. A Ventrilo/RuneHQ staff member will inform you once your account has been made.
- Click the arrow next to "User Name" at the top of the screen. Click "New" and type in your RuneHQ Display Name. Click the "OK" button.
- Click the arrow next to "Server" at the top of the screen. Click "New" and type in whatever you want the server to be shown to you as (eg. "RuneHQ," "RHQ," "RS," etc.) Click "OK."
- Enter the following information into the text fields provided:
- Hostname or IP: vent.gghq.net
- Port number: 8325
- Password: This would be the password that you've given us in Step 3 above.
- The Default Channel can stay blank. The first check box (Accept page requests from other users) and the second check box (accept User-to-User communications) should stay checked. Click "OK."
- Click "Connect" on the right hand side.
- Click "Setup" on the right hand side of the screen. Make sure that the "Voice" tab is selected, and check the box labeled "Use Push-To-Talk Hotkey." You may see a pop-up window telling you that you might need to change your System Preferences. Read what it says, click "Yes," and make the necessary changes.
- Once you finish with the system changes, click once in the text field labeled "Hotkey" so that the curser appears at the end of the text that is already there. Pick a key or mouse button that you want to use to talk. Make sure it is one that will not normally be used by you (something like "Alt" or left "CTRL" would be good, something like the spacebar would not). Press the key you decide on once, and then click "OK" in the bottom right corner of the window.
When you use the program after that:
- Click the "Connect" button
- Start the program and click "Connect."
- Use your Push-to-talk Hotkey to speak.
- Have a GREAT time.
- If you have questions the Ventrilo staff is there to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is in charge of the Ventrilo Server?
The IRC & Ventrilo Manager, Double_D_Edd is in charge. Vent/RHQ Staff are people that have the power to mute users, to kick them from the channel, and to ban them.
Why are there different colored icons next to the channel name?
Blue icons before the channel names signify that a channel is open to the public. Red pluses denote you need a password to access the channel. Yellow icons mean you need to be "Authorized" to access the channel. Please see the above section labeled "The Channels" for more specific information.
What do I do if people are too loud or complain that I am too loud?
Open the Setup window and get to the "Voice" tab. Note the "Amplifiers" section on the bottom right. The slider bars can be moved to increase and decrease your volume. The "Outbound" slider controls how loud your voice will be to the other people in the channel, and the "Inbound" slider controls how loud everyone else sounds to you. When these are moved to the right, things become louder, and they become softer when the sliders are moved to the left.
How should I deal with someone who is being annoying or harassing me?
The first step you should take is to mute the offending user. This will not mute them for everyone, simply you. To do this, right-click (or CTRL-click on a Mac) the user's name and move down to "User." Move over and click "Mute." The letter "M" should appear next to this users name. If they have been especially rude or swearing, please lodge a complaint by right-clicking (or CTRL-click on a Mac) the user's name and move down to "User." Move over "Lodge complaint about..." and imput what they are doing in the textbox then click Send.
What are these annoying computerized voices talking to me and how can I stop them?
The "Events" tab of the setup window allows you to control when and what voice messages you receive from the Server. If you select "Wave file" for any given option, you will hear a pre-recorded sound when the event happens. If you select "Text-to-speech," the computer will attempt to read whatever is happening to you. If you select "Nothing," you will not receive any notification when the events happen. Many people find that setting all of these options to "Nothing" does not hinder their fun in Ventrilo at all, and so this is the recommended setting. The "Ventrilo Event Text" text field is where some files from the program are saved. Unless you know what you are doing, you should not change this.
What is the "Comment" button on the right/How do people get things in parentheses after their name?
The comment system places text in parentheses after a persons name. This can be helpful for quick comments, quirks, or for people who have microphone issues.
What is the "Chat" button on the right?
The Chat button takes you into the Ventrilo text chat. This is simply another way of communicating with your friends on the server.
What do the letters by people's names mean?
People get letters in quotation marks beside their name when they have a special status in the room. "C" means that a user is currently in the Ventrilo chat. "M" means that the user has been muted by you; you will no longer hear anything said by this user. "N or G" means that an Admin has muted the user and that that person can now be heard by no-one. If you have this "N or G" and do not know why, type a comment out asking an Admin for help. A "T" is a rare thing to see by someone's name, but when you do it means that they are paging you. The letter only appears while the page is actually happening.
What is paging used for and how do I do it?
Paging is a way for members to contact each other without actually speaking or putting anything in their comments. No-one except for the two people involved in the page will know that anything is going on. A page itself is a computerized voice saying "Page from [username here.]" Pages are often used to get someones attention to look at the person who is doing the paging's comment or to tell someone that they should come to the channel that the person who sent the page is in. To send someone a page yourself, right click their name and go to "User." When the new option menu opens, click "Send Page." Please note that excessive spamming with pages is annoying and uncalled for. Feel free to use this system to contact staff at any time if you need assistance.
What should I do if I was banned unfairly?
If you feel that you have been banned from the RuneHQ server or any of the channels unfairly, you may issue an appeal through the forum PM system. It would be best if this appeal was sent to the Admin who banned you, but if you do not know who that is or simply don't feel comfortable talking to them, you may contact another. The best people to contact regarding this at this time is Double_D_Edd. However, you may contact any Ventrilo Staff member. Please give as much information as possible in your ban appeal, and be prepared to communicate with us if the need arises. Do note however that we do not ban lightly, and that a very good reason is needed to overturn a ban. If you feel that you have a legitimate reason, feel free to contact someone about it.
Can I change anything else?
Feel free to change any other things you may find in the Setup window to make your experience more fun. However, be aware that if you mess something up, the only way to fix the problem may be by uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Know what you are doing before changing a bunch of things!
What are the different Ventrilo Ranks?
- Guests: The first rank on the GGHQ Ventrilo server, they have [Guest] next to their names.
- RuneHQ Forum members:These are members who are registered on the Community Forums. They will have [RuneHQ] next to their name.
- Runehq Staff: These are members who are RuneHQ Forum staff. They will have [RuneHQ Staff] next to their names. They only have the power to Kick Move and Ban users and are not allowed to moderate when a Ventrilo Staff member is online.
- Ventrilo Staff: These are the Administrators of the Ventrilo server. They handle the rule breakers and deal with server issues and such. [Ventrilo Staff] will appear next to their names. If a user is causing problems, please report the user
- [GGHQ Admin]:The highest rank on the Ventrilo server. They are not only server admins, but Runehq admins on the forums and main site. If a Ventrilo Staff member is on, please contact him/her first.
To get a Ventrilo Account, all you have to do is:
1. Update your Profile and enter your Vent Account Password in the Private Custom Profile field set up for this information. Please do not provide us with your RuneScape or RuneHQ password; rather, it must be a generic password, i.e., a password that you do not use elsewhere. Rest assured this is a private field that only you and upper level staff can see/edit.
2. Create a topic in this forum. The topic needs to contain a statement that your password has been updated in your profile and that you need a Vent Account.
Once your account has been created you will recive a PM on the forums then you can log into the Ventrilo Server using your RuneHQ forum name and the password you provided. Your Ventrilo Username will be your RuneHQ forum name. If you get stuck logging into vent please read RuneHQ's Ventrilo Guide.
Welcome to RuneHQ Ventrilo, the newest way that Global Gaming HQ is bringing together lovers of video games!