Technically not all of these changes happened in 2012, but I didn't feel they warranted their own tiny topics each, so I've saved off announcing them until now. The list of changes are as follows:
- In the past you may have noticed the Site News sometimes showing one entry, but that entry disappearing the next time you looked or refreshed the page. We have made a change to once and for all prevent this from happening again. The problem was caused by having multiple database servers and they repeatedly would get out of sync with each other. Our solution was to reduce server load and remove one of the servers; therefore, it shouldn't ever be an issue again.
- As just stated, we have reduced server load by approximately a factor of 7. This reduced load should help in the long run with speeding up the site.
- The navigation menu has been updated to better reflect what the majority of our users want to find fast. Quests, Calculators, and Treausure Trails have all been pulled out of the submenus and made a top-level item. Other items have been cleaned up or moved around. We are willing to listen to any feedback regarding this change as needed.
- While the same amount of advertisements still currently remain, the way they load has now been changed. While it may still take the same amount of time overall for the entire page to load, it feels much quicker now that since the content shows up much quicker. If you have an ad-blocker on, I encourage you to check out the site without it and see what you think. We are of course always looking to improve upon our ads and are currently looking into whether it is feasible to remove some ads or not.
- If a DJ is currently broadcasting on the radio, it will show up on the main site index page just above the "Last Guide Updated" section. This makes it easy to know when to listen in!
- Site Coders