Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

godssword24 : (Sep 29,2014 18:37) :banana:
Rednar : (Sep 29,2014 10:39) :(
Bob : (Sep 29,2014 10:38) Rednar pls...Jagex knows you're trying to crash the Arma market
Rednar : (Sep 29,2014 10:38) And Kree'arra got buffed.
Bob : (Sep 29,2014 10:36) Hahaha Freedom is no longer interrupted when hit by a bind ability!
dawfedora : (Sep 28,2014 23:03) ibis
Marzanna : (Sep 28,2014 18:13) Greetings. My name is marzanna, sadly I won't be your tour guide today.
Sliver : (Sep 28,2014 16:45) Hey
bigjtc : (Sep 28,2014 16:26) I haven't been on runescape/runeHQ since 2012
bigjtc : (Sep 28,2014 16:26) woah this is weird
BellaDonna57 : (Sep 28,2014 14:37) I need to get better about checking profiles so I don't keep making these mistakes. :)
BellaDonna57 : (Sep 28,2014 14:35) Sorry bout that Kata! And you ARE very nice.
Tri_Killer2 : (Sep 28,2014 12:01) Not uh
Katalex : (Sep 28,2014 10:59) Lies
Tri_Killer2 : (Sep 28,2014 10:53) Poor kata she is so nice
Katalex : (Sep 28,2014 10:40) Here we go again.......
Sumurai8 : (Sep 28,2014 8:20) her*
BellaDonna57 : (Sep 28,2014 8:14) Kata got his 99 cape? Awesome! Congrats.
Katalex : (Sep 28,2014 4:03) :banana:
Cloque05 : (Sep 28,2014 2:34) Go Kata! :bb:

Photo

Religion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
625 replies to this topic

#1 Sun

Sun

Interactive Imp

• Established Members
  • 18 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:25 PM

I haven't seen any religion discussions yet, and what's a debate forum without a religion?
Me, I'm an atheist, and I'm proud of it. ''God'' made me an atheist.

Are there any other atheists here?

Posted Image

#2 Jay feathers

Jay feathers

Resident Soulfoxie

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

I'm a Christian, and always will be. I'm proud to be a Christian.

I could get very deep into the matter, and have argued it with several people, but as you don't seem to be here for an argument, I'll not.

I is soulfoxie. I do soulfoxie things.

08f5d6c9-d5ad-4e7c-b99d-70728b832d9e_zps

anmpa8.jpg

#3 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm an agnostic Jew, hypothetically.

I come from Jewish descent and my family is Jewish - I also follow most of the laws and traditions yet I ponder upon the existence of God.
Posted Image

Thanks for the awesome signature Buck! :D

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#4 Sun

Sun

Interactive Imp

• Established Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

I am here for an argument, but really didn't have a clue where to start, but what if i were to say that all dogs can speak english, would you believe it? Their ability is supernatural, so you can never discover it using science. You can't dissect dogs to find out how this ability works.

Furthermore, dogs intentionally hide this ability from humans. Dogs only speak when humans aren't around, and they have the ability to know if humans are eavesdropping in any way. So, you would never catch them in the act.

You can't prove this isn't true. It's entirely possible that it is. So, do you believe that dogs speak english? If not, why?

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Sun, 27 December 2011 - 08:44 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Tupic_*

Guest_Tupic_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Because the burden of proof lies with the one making the claim. As with almost all things, you can't rule out the possibility of dogs having the ability to speak English, however seeing as there is no demonstrated evidence there is no reason to believe this and any belief would have to be grounded only in speculation or imagination.

And I suppose I am an atheist, but I feel like that's such a one-dimensional word. I do not believe in a divine creator per se but I do believe each religion has something to offer us philosophically. I prefer the term humanist, but technically I am an atheist.

#6 Jay feathers

Jay feathers

Resident Soulfoxie

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

I am here for an argument, but really didn't have a clue where to start, but what if i were to say that all dogs can speak english, would you believe it? Their ability is supernatural, so you can never discover it using science. You can't dissect dogs to find out how this ability works.

Furthermore, dogs intentionally hide this ability from humans. Dogs only speak when humans aren't around, and they have the ability to know if humans are eavesdropping in any way. So, you would never catch them in the act.

You can't prove this isn't true. It's entirely possible that it is. So, do you believe that dogs speak english? If not, why?

Edit: Typo.

There ya go, that's how you start things off ^_^

Anyway, beleiveing in anything is really a choice. If you believe in sicence, then you are still believing in something. Some might argue that it's truth, and it has been proven, but on the other hand, the same could be said about the existence of God. The difference is, humans believe in science because they made it themselves, and think it mostly flawless. They beliive it because they feel it gives them power. I believe in god for the oppasit reason. While science does hold truth, it is made by humans. Humans are flawed, and will always tilt things toward there own ends. I would never put my trust in humans because of that. I believe in God because it has been proven to me, and I feel it more solid than any science.

anmpa8.jpg

#7 Jess

Jess

Able Abyssal Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'm a die hard, true Christian. I have no intention arguing over the truth of the world because I'm not ignorant, I just have my own belief and whether it's right or not (though I strongly believe what I believe in is true without a doubt because of experiences) I'll always stay true to my Lord and Savior. I respect everyone elses decisions too! It's your choice.
Posted Image

Hostname: Vent.gghq.net
Port: 8325

#8 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:44 AM

There ya go, that's how you start things off ^_^

Anyway, beleiveing in anything is really a choice. If you believe in sicence, then you are still believing in something. Some might argue that it's truth, and it has been proven, but on the other hand, the same could be said about the existence of God. The difference is, humans believe in science because they made it themselves, and think it mostly flawless. They beliive it because they feel it gives them power. I believe in god for the oppasit reason. While science does hold truth, it is made by humans. Humans are flawed, and will always tilt things toward there own ends. I would never put my trust in humans because of that. I believe in God because it has been proven to me, and I feel it more solid than any science.

Actually, science isn't proven, it's just unfalsified. For example, Einstein's theory of relativity. We don't know if it's 100% true, but as of late there's been no definitive evidence to suggest it is incorrect.
Posted Image

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#9 Nightfirecat

Nightfirecat

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

I believe in god for the oppasit reason. While science does hold truth, it is made by humans. Humans are flawed, and will always tilt things toward there own ends. I would never put my trust in humans because of that. I believe in God because it has been proven to me, and I feel it more solid than any science.

Similarly, every act of God has been handed down through history, thorough many men's retellings, so hence, how can those be trusted?
Self-proclaimed F2P Veteran, past RHQ Mentor.

What am I up to? Read my log and find out!
._.

#10 Jay feathers

Jay feathers

Resident Soulfoxie

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

Similarly, every act of God has been handed down through history, thorough many men's retellings, so hence, how can those be trusted?

It's been proven to me, in it's own way. Not because of humans. If I went by what the church said, then I'd have you believe that I'd be going to hell simply for being who I am. The church is flawed, and I've seen them tilt things.

I believe in God, and I trust in the Bible. As such, I'm a Christian. But I take my beliefs from what I learn, not from what I'm told.

Edited by Fox_Feathertail, 28 December 2011 - 03:25 AM.

anmpa8.jpg

#11 Sliver

Sliver

Events Team Manager / TS Staff / Clan Staff

• Managers
  • 4,075 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

I'm a Christian but I also believe in science so things like evalution but I believe in God and go to church on Saturday nights.

Sliver.png

Sliver.gif

#12 Jess

Jess

Able Abyssal Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

It's been proven to me, in it's own way. Not because of humans. If I went by what the church said, then I'd have you believe that I'd be going to hell simply for being who I am. The church is flawed, and I've seen them tilt things.

I believe in God, and I trust in the Bible. As such, I'm a Christian. But I take my beliefs from what I learn, not from what I'm told.

Exactly. I believe the Bible is God's word. But a lot of churches in our society are corrupted so going by your belief is going the right way.
Posted Image

#13 Guest_Monado_*

Guest_Monado_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

I am an Atheist, and have always believed that if it can not be proven by science it does not exist. This is rather stressful though, as my family constantly try to oppress me with their beliefs on God. Because of this, I feel like I have to keep my beliefs a secret as my parents take their religion very seriously. This becomes really frustrating though because every time I ask how does God exist they simply answer with "God exist because we exist" argument. Whenever I argue how illogical that is they tune me out like I'm some sort of ignorant child. Religion usually just stresses me out with how stupid many people act in the name of it.

Edited by Monado, 30 December 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#14 Guest_Archaen_*

Guest_Archaen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

Science isn't exactly 'created' by humans, it's just a name for the studying and observing of what's around us, trying to figure out why it's there, what it's doing, how it reacts to certain situations etc. Science is knowledge, simply put. Belief is just that, something you believe in, it's a firmly held opinion. That's why there are people who work in scientific institutes who still have a religious doctrine. That's why science isn't taught in religious lessons.

If you have evidence to claim a scientific point wrong, then post your findings (that's how science works)! Otherwise you cannot say it's untrue until such a point has occurred - you can believe it's not true, but that's only an opinion. If you had evidence to claim that pigs fly, and that the evidence isn't disputed, then it's adopted by the scientific community. People will spend their life trying to dispute it within the community, because knowledge needs to be assure of itself, just on the off chance something was overlooked or new technology provides a method to dispute the point. Science is sciences worst critic.

I do not believe in the aforementioned reason as to why I don't believe in a god, not in the slightest. That's a very dangerous and quite frankly rude view to have of people who don't believe in a god. I do not believe in science to fill some self-satisfaction of power, if anything it has the totally opposite effect; I marvel at the universe and small probability of my existence, I marvel that the tiniest bits of me are made of stars themselves and that everything single atom within side me will continue to exist forever, as it has for the last 13.4 billion years or so. That makes me feel insignificant in the grand schemes of things, so I should make the most of my life, and be beneficial to others.

That's the reason I do a lot of charity work and am registered for organ/bone marrow donation if something unfortunate was to happen me, I could feel like I did something with my blip in time. I thought like I should share that, because some people I've encountered believe that I'm an incarnation of some form of evil because I don't believe in their beliefs - that I should fear some god with them, and that somehow helps others, instead of proactively doing it oneself.

I won't go into this too much, because it usually derails a debate because people take it personally and not as a debate: I am of the opinion that religion was created, as many prior to it, and many to this day are created for: human motives. Take for example, the Church of Scientology, which claims to be a religion (and failed to acclaim such status within the UK, it's classified as a cult here). Not to count the countless millions who have lost their lives in the previous millennia to religious motivation, and still do so.

If the world was perfect, people would accept other peoples beliefs as just that, we'd have intelligent discussions for and against, but wouldn't hold it personally against people (on both sides, I've seen some crazy atheists take it too far, and emotionally upset another being as well, I'm not saying only religious zealots do that). I don't believe anyone, anywhere in the world should become victim to hate or worse because someone else holds their belief very strongly and disproves of people who don't do share those beliefs.

I am an Atheist, and have always believed that if it can not be proven by science it does not exist. This is rather stressful though, as my family constantly try to oppress me with their beliefs on God. Because of this, I feel like I have to keep my beliefs a secret as my parents take their religion very seriously. This becomes really frustrating though because every time I ask how does God exist they simply answer with "God exist because we exist" argument. Whenever I argue how illogical that is they tune me out like I'm some sort of ignorant child. Religion usually just stresses me out with how stupid many people act in the name of it.

I'm sorry that people can be ignorant of the position they put others in, because of their belief. I have many religious friends and it does not cause tension between us because I don't believe in what they do - the only thing it does cause is a good old heated debated (which when done properly is fun, and very rewarding for all involved in furthering their understanding!).

I can't really imagine this sort of situation, as within the UK it's generally inpolite to talk about your religious beliefs with others (I can only think of about five accounts where Christianity was brought up on terrestrial channels recentley (and we're a Christian nation too)). I only just found out my grandmothers beliefs, and we're a close family - I'm still unaware of my mothers. It's to the point where I wasn't baptised, because they believe that was my decision to make, when I was capable of doing so - I love them dearly for doing so (even though I attended a Church of England primary school).

#15 James

James

Forum and Events Admin

• Site Admins
  • 2,876 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Religion is a belief that I've always kept to myself.

As some famous sayings goes, "Religion is like a c*ck, it's good to be proud of it, just don't shove it down other people's throats", always made me laugh.

Anyway.. I'm Christian, not as die hard or devout, only really practise the meaning during Easter and Christmas, but apart from that I don't really go to church or anything like that...

~~~~~~

Now, another point of view that I truly believe in , ALL RELIGION is based on the foundations of love, family and truth, a mechanism designed to inspire and promote togetherness.

Unfortunately, people take it way too far, defile their enemies Gods and engage in "holy wars". It needs to stop to be honest. Whether the world would be better of without religion, well that's something I think everyone should think about too.

I can't really imagine this sort of situation, as within the UK it's generally inpolite to talk about your religious beliefs with others (I can only think of about five accounts where Christianity was brought up on terrestrial channels recentley (and we're a Christian nation too)). I only just found out my grandmothers beliefs, and we're a close family - I'm still unaware of my mothers. It's to the point where I wasn't baptised, because they believe that was my decision to make, when I was capable of doing so - I love them dearly for doing so (even though I attended a Church of England primary school).

The Queen's message was rather Christian I must say.

fb8e239ce0.png

#16 Guest_Archaen_*

Guest_Archaen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

The Queen's message was rather Christian I must say.

That's one of the accounts, and I would expect no less of the monarchy :-).

#17 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

I like the quote from (I think it was) Karl Marx: "Religion is the opium of the people." I think it's very interesting if you think about it - opium is a drug - addictive, yet if you don't have it, you can do fine. However, I think Marx makes a very unjust comparison between religion and drugs. I think religion - or at the least, some form of belief is necessary for one to partake in daily life - without a base line, we are practically useless and as humans, we'd have nothing to live for.

Unfortunately, people take it way too far, defile their enemies Gods and engage in "holy wars". It needs to stop to be honest. Whether the world would be better of without religion, well that's something I think everyone should think about too.

I totally agree. To be honest, I think this sort of thing - using terrorists as an example, just use religion and the idea of Jihad as an excuse for terrible exploits. Having spoken to several of my Muslim friends, they are utterly disgusted by the acts of such people and a couple even said terrorists aren't Muslim now because of what they have done as it doesn't say anything about destroying innocent lives in the Qu'ran. I like to look on it like this - "All terrorists are Muslim...but not all Muslims are terrorists." I think in this day and age, it's disgraceful that we still have such racial stereotypes such as all Muslims are terrorists, because it simply isn't true and to be honest, it just isn't fair.
Posted Image

#18 Jess

Jess

Able Abyssal Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:43 PM

I like the quote from (I think it was) Karl Marx: "Religion is the opium of the people." I think it's very interesting if you think about it - opium is a drug - addictive, yet if you don't have it, you can do fine. However, I think Marx makes a very unjust comparison between religion and drugs. I think religion - or at the least, some form of belief is necessary for one to partake in daily life - without a base line, we are practically useless and as humans, we'd have nothing to live for.

I totally agree. To be honest, I think this sort of thing - using terrorists as an example, just use religion and the idea of Jihad as an excuse for terrible exploits. Having spoken to several of my Muslim friends, they are utterly disgusted by the acts of such people and a couple even said terrorists aren't Muslim now because of what they have done as it doesn't say anything about destroying innocent lives in the Qu'ran. I like to look on it like this - "All terrorists are Muslim...but not all Muslims are terrorists." I think in this day and age, it's disgraceful that we still have such racial stereotypes such as all Muslims are terrorists, because it simply isn't true and to be honest, it just isn't fair.

I agree with the Muslim quote. Pretty bad stereotypes going up.
Posted Image

#19 Hi Im Trippy

Hi Im Trippy

Interactive Imp

• Established Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I am Agnostic, from a Christian family, I don't really believe in the idea of a God, because it contradicts itself in many ways. Not because I am ignorant, but because I see now proof involved that shows he is real. I will believe in God once I see him for myself.

If God has the ability to fix our flaws, which there are so many of, and he chooses not to, then I believe he does not deserve anyones worship.

The difference between me and a theist is that I do good, for the sake of good itself. Where as they would do good for a supposed eternal wellness after death. If I lead a good life (No murdering, stealing, raping etc) and God still decides to send me to hell due to the fact he is insecure that I could not handle the fact that an invisible man in the sky is concerned with and controls my life, then that makes him a dictator, not a loving God.

You have to think though, the Church used to kill people who disagreed with them. You would be killed if you thought that the earth rotated around the sun, or the Earth was round, and look what science has proved. It doesn't make sense to me that it is only right to kill if it is in the name of God. As technology advances, we're finding out more and more of these things that the church has said are being proven wrong.

People have every right to believe what they want, It irks me when I join one of these discussions which I have been in many times before and people attack em for my beliefs.

Edited by Hi Im Trippy, 06 April 2012 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#20 DarkDevourer

DarkDevourer

Ex-Events Team Member

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

No comment.....But what i will say is what ever you belive is perfectly fine, it is your human right. It is not anyones place to tell you what to belive.
That is why i have problems with public preachers.

Edit: typo

Edited by DarkDevourer, 09 January 2012 - 01:34 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
A big thank you to Brandon for the signature!