Fading Rain : (Sep 01,2014 23:30) *pokes fly*
LadySonic : (Sep 01,2014 23:26) helloo
Super Fly : (Sep 01,2014 23:22) Hey :)
Deimos_XD : (Sep 01,2014 20:22) Hiya
amazingbjuju : (Sep 01,2014 19:26) ello there
Kunio : (Sep 01,2014 13:25) ty
Tri_Killer2 : (Sep 01,2014 12:53) game
Fading Rain : (Sep 01,2014 10:22) +1 @Sumurai8
Sumurai8 : (Sep 01,2014 7:01) What do you mean Sarah?! Burning people in a LOVELY BLAZING FIRE is the epitome of friendship.
SeaGullz : (Sep 01,2014 5:30) Hey, what's up :)
storm501st : (Sep 01,2014 4:54) soooo bored
3ter 1 : (Aug 31,2014 19:05) exactly!
Smexy Sarah : (Aug 31,2014 15:28) But friendship is magic, not firemaking...
Mega Man : (Aug 31,2014 14:42) Friendship is good
3ter 1 : (Aug 31,2014 13:06) that moment when you're looking at a thread and someone's achievement link says they leveled in Firemaking, but at a glace you think it says "friendship level." awwwwwwk.
2003 Veteran : (Aug 31,2014 11:23) Note to self - no more going to girlfriends sister(s) weddings... You get stuck doing tons of awkward stuff... Lol
storm501st : (Aug 31,2014 11:01) Anyone want to join in on Fishing Trawler
Fading Rain : (Aug 31,2014 10:22) Haven't done a clue in ages, but always feel free to ask for help here http://www.runehq.co...runescape-help/

Photo

RuneFest 2012

A Change In Location?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 Har

Har

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

So Jagex has made a quick poll for people to cast their votes on where to have their next RuneFest.

Chicago

Los Angeles

London

New York

I don't want to know where you guys want it, I just want to know what your peoples opinions are. :-)
(They Matter to me. ^-^)

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image

#2 DJ Phox

DJ Phox

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

User's Awards

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:40 PM

To have it in London again would be unfair

NY is out of the question imo due to how expensive a trip there would cost out of anywhere in the usa.

Chicago is nice but not much else to do there and get's kinda cold, same could be said for NY too.

LA is my top pick because there is plenty to do there and it is the cheapest of destinations

forumsigp.png

#3 Paintball

Paintball

Eppur si muove

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

LA would be very cool! And it will be close to where I'll be at for college (Arizona) so I'll be able to go.

A lot of video game conventions go on in LA too
Posted Image
Signature by Brandon

#4 Guest_Archaen_*

Guest_Archaen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

I'd say London, so the most possible game developers could attend.

#5 DJ Phox

DJ Phox

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

I'd say London, so the most possible game developers could attend.

judging by your profile location i think it's more than that...

it has been in london 2x already, even if not in usa it's time to give a different country a chance to have it local to them. I'm sure they can all fly out to usa just fine. jagex makes plenty of money. they may seem like they are desperate but that's because jagex is mostly owned by investors who primary goal is to make more. so they're not gonna stop at "enough" to operate they want to make as much profit as possible.

down with london as a choice haha they already got it the first 2x

forumsigp.png

#6 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:39 PM

Honestly Phox, I think that's a silly way of looking at it. Just because somewhere has already had something, doesn't mean it can't have it again.

Think of all the things that are exclusive to places like the US and not the UK, so I can't really see how you can complain with us having so little and you having so much. Let us have something at least.

London is, not only the best for me, but in theory the most practical for Jagex.
Posted Image

Thanks for the awesome signature Buck! :D

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#7 DJ Phox

DJ Phox

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

I would be more than happy to let you guys have our "stuff" too. I'm not against sharing, if I could go make all the conventions conclusive to the usa go international I would be more than happy to.

Runefest though has already had 2 in london and for 99% of the people in usa who don;t go the reason is cost of travel. so i ask to let us have 1... just one to l;et us have a go. heck they may even get a bigger turnout than london :P

forumsigp.png

#8 Har

Har

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Very interesting! well either way Jagex has the taste for traveling this RuneFest 2012, so for that reason (unless something drastic happens) I really do think it will be held in the United States. Just my opinion!!!! Posted Image

As to where Runefest 2012 will be held in the United States (with the voters votes in mind) Jagex has the final Say. :-)

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image :~: Posted Image

#9 DJ Phox

DJ Phox

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Very interesting! well either way Jagex has the taste for traveling this RuneFest 2012, so for that reason (unless something drastic happens) I really do think it will be held in the United States. Just my opinion!!!! Posted Image

As to where Runefest 2012 will be held in the United States (with the voters votes in mind) Jagex has the final Say. :-)

while i prefer LA any location works for me in the usa haha

forumsigp.png

#10 Varunky

Varunky

Lurker

• Established Members
  • 1,726 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

Here's something to consider: If they have to do more travel to get to the US and get their place and have that time to set up, how greatly will that affect the price of Runefest tickets?

Varunky.pngVarunky.png
Proud owner of 10year Vet. cape.
Fan of loadingreadyrun ••••>
Saved by grace through faith - Eph 2:8-10

#11 Guest_Archaen_*

Guest_Archaen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

judging by your profile location i think it's more than that...

I haven't attended the previous ones, and doubtful I'd attend the next. Only reason I'd go would to meet people. It makes the most logical sense to hold it, where the company HQ and majority of development (if not all) is located.

I'm going to Iceland next year, for a convention of a mmo I've played for a while - the fact it's in another country is wonderful, the fact it's Iceland? Epic! I'd love any excuse to experience the culture of another country I haven't been to before. It's extremely expensive however, the bare-bones flight deal is around £500 for a return ticket. That's not including hotel, travel in the UK to the airport, travel in Iceland, raised alcohol prices in Iceland, fried lamb brain etc.

The fact it's pricey makes me think about the decision more seriously, and plan a proper plan of action - which I appreciate. It also in another way, makes the experience seem more potent and certainly a memory that won't be easily forgotten. It's also a greater reward for the fruits of my labour.

It's been held there for the last six to seven years, and that's fantastic - every year they up their venue because they're in an environment they know, have contacts within the country to provide the best possible entertainment, and they don't have to worry about details such as getting staff there, but more importantly on stuff like: "What alcohol should we import?" - key essentials.

Edited by Archaen, 29 November 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#12 Kittyhawk

Kittyhawk

If all you have is a stick, everything looks like a kneecap.

• Community Crew
  • 2,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Some of your argument makes no sense at all.

Why would they need to import alcohol? Surely anywhere they went alcohol would be easy enough to get.

Also does that whole thing mean that if the venue was within your own country it would have no value? What if an estimated 50% of the user base was in another country all together, would there still be no worth in your eyes in holding the venue in the country of the user base?

WildThing.jpg
Story time needs to happen, I just need to find a day and time that work. :(

Spoiler

#13 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Jagex is London-based, so London should reap the benefits, in my opnion.
Posted Image

I, Greg, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any shady dealers. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. I will be part of the solution.

#14 Double_D_Edd

Double_D_Edd

Edd

• Advanced Members
  • 4,683 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

To the UK folks who posted in this topic: Did you even attend RuneFest this year or last year?

Granted, I didn't even attend RuneFest, but I'm willing to do that next year if held in the US. Seriously, just because Jagex is based in the UK doesn't mean they should confine themselves to the UK.

Now, I'm not saying Jagex should pack their bags and head to the US for RuneFest next year, but let's face it -- a good percentage of the RS population WANTS RuneFest to be held in the US. It's fair game. Yes, I'd say the same if the majority voted for London.

Keep in mind that Jagex gave us the option to pick the location for next year. This is the first time they have done this, and wouldn't have done so if it wasn't feasible. So there's no point in bringing up the rare possibility of financial trouble. They have immigration issues to consider in addition to overall costs, and I'm quite sure they have planned that out to some extent.

As far as ticket pricing goes, yeah, they will be expensive. RF tickets aren't exactly cheap. The lowest ticket price was around $100 for one day, and just over $150 for that entire weekend. Of course, there are additional costs (VIP, backstage, etc.), which adds up. If you can't afford the tickets, well, too bad.

On a final note, anything could happen at the very end. Some stupid immigration policy might kick in that could prevent travel, so Jagex might just have it in London -- you never know. But if you're in the UK, NOT attending RuneFest, and want it to be held in London, seriously... you don't get the right to argue.

#15 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

So just because I didn't attend, that makes me less of a RuneScape fan and I'm deemed not worthy to argue? With all due respect, that's rubbish.

There are plenty of feasible reasons why people in the UK don't go - prices, practicality, etc.

Edd, by your logic, that means if you don't go to coucil meetings (or the equivalent in the US) then you don't have the right to vote, which is a load of...well, you get the idea.

In my opinion, your argument is laced with fallacies, and at the end of the day, just because I didn't go does not mean I'm not entitles to my opinion.
Posted Image

#16 Guest_Archaen_*

Guest_Archaen_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Some of your argument makes no sense at all.

Why would they need to import alcohol? Surely anywhere they went alcohol would be easy enough to get.

Also does that whole thing mean that if the venue was within your own country it would have no value? What if an estimated 50% of the user base was in another country all together, would there still be no worth in your eyes in holding the venue in the country of the user base?

You didn't read that correctly at all - the point was, they wouldn't have to familiarise themselves with the environment, suppliers, laws and regulations but instead focus on more venue related events.

The amount of people whom play this other mmo that I play, is greater than the population of Iceland, but the total player base of the game which is Icelandic was of 0.2% as last year - yet they hold it there every year and it's very successful because they're familiar with their own environment and connections within that country, to ensure they can get the best value for money. They strike deals with the local airlines, pubs and hotels, they do various trips to places like the Blue Lagoon and other key places within the country they know well.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for some one that's not attending RuneFest to give points on where it should be held - they don't really care where it's held, so they can bring up some very logical points. That's like saying a referee for a game should have to be a citizen of one of the countries playing, otherwise they have no right to argue penalties etc.

If it only reached 50% of the user base holding it in the UK, then that would be the most sensible place to hold it - because it would be vastly easier and more convenient for the company, allowing them to spend that extra time and man power working on improving the existing venue instead of sourcing places abroad, obtaining the right licenses etc. I'm sorry it may be inconvenient for you personally, but that's all you're arguing for - personal convenience, I'm just stating the fact that it would make most sense for JaGeX to hold it where it's been held prior, as they've got the basics covered (i.e. connections, legal understanding, venue location) there now and can just improve on it - instead of rebuilding the entire wheel.

#17 Double_D_Edd

Double_D_Edd

Edd

• Advanced Members
  • 4,683 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

So just because I didn't attend, that makes me less of a RuneScape fan and I'm deemed not worthy to argue? With all due respect, that's rubbish.

Exactly. I know it's "rubbish". It's only one-sided, which is basically what most of the arguments in this topic are. That's what I'm getting at when I read your previous post:

Jagex is London-based, so London should reap the benefits, in my opnion.

Your post above just pisses people off, because all it's saying "Oh, because we're in London, it should be held here and nowhere else in the world". It's purely one-sided, and fails to consider the opinions of others who are WILLING to go to RuneFest, particularly the US folks.

There are plenty of feasible reasons why people in the UK don't go - prices, practicality, etc.

Yeah, same goes for US folks. It's only fair to say that they want it held in the US for the very same reasons.

You aren't attending RuneFest; therefore, it shouldn't matter to you. At least not as much as it does to others. See, it doesn't seem fair to you for me to cut you out of the argument, right? So, don't just stick to location as your reasoning. Provide more incentive.

P.S. Like it or not, their opinions are and will be slightly valued over yours, since you don't plan on or won't be attending. It's only fair.

#18 Greg

Greg

Conversational Chaos Ele

• Established Members
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

I'll refer back to my earlier example, just because you don't participate in council meetings, doesn't mean you lose the right to vote and have an opinion.

Perhaps my arguments seem one-sided to you, but I could twist it around -there are plenty of other games made in the US which have a large fan base in the UK and other areas. The conventions and meetings for these will be held in the US, despite the wants of other players. All I'm saying is it's only fair that those around the area Jagex work in see the most benefits? It seems unfair, yes, but from a sense of practically it's absoloutely clear.
Posted Image

#19 Tarahiro

Tarahiro

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

I think London is best but only because it's an English company. If Jagex were based in America, I wouldn't ever expect them to bring the event to England.

I'm kind of secretly hoping that they're just using the poll to see how much interest there is in 'RuneFest USA'. Like, they plan to have RF3 in London regardless of poll outcome and if a lot of people voted for America, they would have RF4 in America. You know, to give them time to set it all up and that. Plus having 1 more in London would mean I can go once more Posted Image I'd never be able to afford the trip to America so if the event moves there permanantly, i'll not be going again. (If I had a job I would make the trip, though. I don't go just because it's convenient having it in England.)

To be honest, I don't think Jagex should hold RF in America unless they expand and get an American office. That way they could probably hold one in both countries. That would be good. It would also make more sense. They would be holding an event in America once they actually set up another part of the business there. That makes more sense to me.

Edited by Tarahiro, 29 November 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#20 Kittyhawk

Kittyhawk

If all you have is a stick, everything looks like a kneecap.

• Community Crew
  • 2,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

You didn't read that correctly at all - the point was, they wouldn't have to familiarise themselves with the environment, suppliers, laws and regulations but instead focus on more venue related events.

So you think they didn't have to research laws before they held the first venue? And why would it be so difficult for them to learn new sets of laws to hold it in a different venue that it would prevent them from doing it at all? TRUST ME that every single year they have to research all the laws all over again, THEY TEND TO CHANGE, and that without notice. So do suppliers, environmental factors, entertainment groups, and so on, and so on. None of that will remain static just for your event.

If it only reached 50% of the user base holding it in the UK, then that would be the most sensible place to hold it - because it would be vastly easier and more convenient for the company, allowing them to spend that extra time and man power working on improving the existing venue instead of sourcing places abroad, obtaining the right licenses etc. I'm sorry it may be inconvenient for you personally, but that's all you're arguing for - personal convenience, I'm just stating the fact that it would make most sense for JaGeX to hold it where it's been held prior, as they've got the basics covered (i.e. connections, legal understanding, venue location) there now and can just improve on it - instead of rebuilding the entire wheel.

I actually argue that at least 50% of the fan base is in America, with another good percentage in other countries, leaving London with far less that 50%. Lets face it, London would fit in Texas with room to spare.

I'll refer back to my earlier example, just because you don't participate in council meetings, doesn't mean you lose the right to vote and have an opinion.

Sure, if you are part of the council you retain the right to vote. However if you don't go to the meetings you will be skipped that session. They don't typically hold your vote. You have to make some of the effort. Unless of course you hold a lot more power than the typical council person.

I think London is best but only because it's an English company. If Jagex were based in America, I wouldn't ever expect them to bring the event to England.

You wouldn't? Because I for certain would. I expect them to go where the money is. They are a business after all.

WildThing.jpg
Story time needs to happen, I just need to find a day and time that work. :(

Spoiler