Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Do NOT use this Shoutbox for Quest Partners - Instead please click here
Angel : (Dec 21,2014 22:09) Or you can just use revolution
The Cardinal : (Dec 21,2014 20:22) They get easier as you learn to use each ability when
senug : (Dec 21,2014 20:18) Im kinda getting used to killing Glacors now :)
Tri_Killer2 : (Dec 21,2014 20:12) Legacy > eoc
AllenAwesum : (Dec 21,2014 19:50) There is also Old School if you pay for mems. :banana:
Neri : (Dec 21,2014 19:07) Morvran Slayer cancel list
senug : (Dec 21,2014 17:30) But for combat, EoC is much better.
senug : (Dec 21,2014 17:29) You can still play on old interface. Simply go to Legacy mode and you will see the old interface
Alfawarlord : (Dec 21,2014 16:36) RS3 is rs2 with a new layout
Pack 2096 : (Dec 21,2014 16:14) How hard is it to understand rs2 to 3. Is it completely changed?
Pack 2096 : (Dec 21,2014 16:13) is it worth it? I havent played sense EOC
Pack 2096 : (Dec 21,2014 16:13) I am thinking about getting membership again
senug : (Dec 21,2014 16:00) Nice dvg :D
Haxorze : (Dec 21,2014 15:58) :D
Devil Vz God : (Dec 21,2014 15:36) And 51 kills later http://postimg.org/image/kocr5pi0p/
AllenAwesum : (Dec 21,2014 14:37) fixing to decide what to spend with 11m, so many possiblities lmao B-)
isbelleit1 : (Dec 21,2014 13:28) but what are urns?
isbelleit1 : (Dec 21,2014 13:28) hi im new
Zyneste : (Dec 21,2014 11:10) See the top link in the GREEN box please, Duhfault.
Duhfault : (Dec 21,2014 10:55) can someone help me with shield of arrav?

Photo

voting reform

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

so i was sitting outside thinking and came up with this idea

what if instead of voting directly for a person we were to present a series of questions and the system would put your vote with the person(s) who most fit your answers. this would somewhat streamline the voting process and force an informed decision rather than the system we have now where if you dont know or (like most people in the u.s.) haven't bothered to do the research you simply put in a random name from the ballot.

discuss, excited to see what ppl have to say.

s5hjsj.png      kilvehk.png    2a7wy1z.png

thanks for the sig brandon!

312z02g.png    vrvoli.png

2eojfhh.png24qlhmv.pngiqvn7s.png

2vlsea0.png

#2 Paintball

Paintball

Eppur si muove

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:19 AM

Because I could run for office and just list what a majority of people agree with and win. Doesn't mean I have to vote that way, but it would be an incredibly easy way to win. We vote for people not only because their stance on issues is similar to ours, but also because we can connect with them.

We have debates so people can make an informed decision, and to see how people carry themselves. In politics it's more important to get other people to agree with you and make compromises rather than a strict stance on issues.

Hope this made sense, curse midnight writing XD
Posted Image
Signature by Brandon

#3 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

it made sense and i see what you mean but there has to be a better way than the current. the problem is is that the majority of the u.s. simply doesn't give a flying ##### about making an informed decision hell half the time when you try to inform them they simply say something along the lines of " oh thats right quote fox news idc what you say i like this person and your an idiot for disagreeing" perhaps you should be required to pass some sort of intelligence test to receive a voters registration card. why should ppl who dont care to make an informed decision about such important issues be given any sort of say in such matters?

Edited by kilvehk, 26 September 2012 - 04:43 AM.

2vlsea0.png

#4 Varunky

Varunky

Lurker

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

This seems unnecessarily hard. While I don't like how sometimes it's a popularity contest or just one side getting their voters to actually come out more than the others. Plus, there's enough ballot recounting with the current system where you just select your candidate, just think how hard it would be to recount the votes doing it this way.

Varunky.pngVarunky.png
Proud owner of 10year Vet. cape.
Saved by grace through faith - Eph 2:8-10

#5 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Actually, we don't directly vote for the president. Our votes our evaluated by the electoral college, and they make the vote with OR WITHOUT our influence.

billiam.png

#6 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

ik will and that already needs to be done away with look at what got bush elected

2vlsea0.png

#7 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Then the problem that you're noting is not that the voting system is flawed, but that the average American is F(&^*** retarded (true fact)

billiam.png

#8 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

obviously and that presents a problem when trying to make a system that works in spite of their idiocy i was trying to avoid being to harsh about it will but thats exactly the problem

Edited by kilvehk, 26 September 2012 - 12:07 PM.

2vlsea0.png

#9 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

obviously and that presents a problem when trying to make a system that works in spite of their idiocy i was trying to avoid being to harsh about it will but thats exactly the problem

Our current system *is* one that works in spite of their idiocy. The members of the electoral college can always "veto" the general population's decision should it prove to be misled

billiam.png

#10 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

but the collage is full of idiots as well how can the stupid effectively make decisions for both the intelligent and the stupid. those of higher intelligence are the ones capable of effective leadership

Edited by kilvehk, 26 September 2012 - 01:11 PM.

2vlsea0.png

#11 Claudia

Claudia

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Um, they (the electoral college) make decisions based on what the people say.

What do you suggest, then, in place of the electoral college? Your original idea is really impractical, so if you think the electoral college sucks then i'd like to hear your improved idea.

Edited by Claudia, 26 September 2012 - 02:33 PM.

Sweetheart.png

#12 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

but the collage is full of idiots as well how can the stupid effectively make decisions for both the intelligent and the stupid. those of higher intelligence are the ones capable of effective leadership

The Electoral College certainly isn't full of idiots. It consists of seasoned politicians, who are obviously much better informed than the average American.

Um, they (the electoral college) make decisions based on what the people say.

What do you suggest, then, in place of the electoral college? Your original idea is really impractical, so if you think the electoral college sucks then i'd like to hear your improved idea.

The electoral college has voted against the majority once and against the plurality thrice, so it's not completely based on what people say

billiam.png

#13 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

yeah and look at what we got because of it fracking bush...... and no not all of them are seasoned politicians i remember one case in particular where the son of a governor donated a large sum of money to a candidate and got into the electoral collage immediately after. and on top of that just because they are seasoned politicians doesn't mean they aren't idiots it only means that idiots voted them into an office. by that i mean not that they were elected to the electorial collage but that in order to be a "seasoned politician" one must first be elected into an office to be involved in politics enough to become seasoned

cluadia i dont believe it was impractical it was a spur of the moment idea and definitely could use a bit more thought behind it but the premise of it is still a valid one

Edited by kilvehk, 26 September 2012 - 03:27 PM.

2vlsea0.png

#14 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

yeah and look at what we got because of it fracking bush...... and no not all of them are seasoned politicians i remember one case in particular where the son of a governor donated a large sum of money to a candidate and got into the electoral collage immediately after. and on top of that just because they are seasoned politicians doesn't mean they aren't idiots it only means that idiots voted them into an office. by that i mean not that they were elected to the electorial collage but that in order to be a "seasoned politician" one must first be elected into an office to be involved in politics enough to become seasoned

cluadia i dont believe it was impractical it was a spur of the moment idea and definitely could use a bit more thought behind it but the premise of it is still a valid one

I don't see why your hatred of Bush has anything to do with this. You have no 'premise' at all; all you say is that you want there to be a better voting system. I've already proven how our voting system does the best it can without having to actually reeducate our population. Sure, the system is flawed, but saying "the average American should not be retarded" is not a better plan.

About the governor's son example, that is just one out of the 500+ electoral votes and an outlier; however, I do agree that money plays too much of a role in modern politics but nevertheless feel that a governor's son would have a vast amount of political knowledge

billiam.png

#15 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

I don't see why your hatred of Bush has anything to do with this. You have no 'premise' at all; all you say is that you want there to be a better voting system. I've already proven how our voting system does the best it can without having to actually reeducate our population. Sure, the system is flawed, but saying "the average American should not be retarded" is not a better plan.

About the governor's son example, that is just one out of the 500+ electoral votes and an outlier; however, I do agree that money plays too much of a role in modern politics but nevertheless feel that a governor's son would have a vast amount of political knowledge

im not saying my original idea was a good one it was barely thought out and not even half backed but impractical it was not flawed yes but not impractical think of ways these ideas could possibly be improved or come up with your own ideas this debate is not just to argue the merits of one idea come up with your own as well i for one do not buy into the idea that the current system is the best it can possibly be and if something is flawed you must strive to fix it

Edited by kilvehk, 26 September 2012 - 05:36 PM.

2vlsea0.png

#16 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

im not saying my original idea was a good one it was barely thought out and not even half backed but impractical it was not flawed yes but not impractical think of ways these ideas could possibly be improved or come up with your own ideas this debate is not just to argue the merits of one idea come up with your own as well i for one do not buy into the idea that the current system is the best it can possibly be and if something is flawed you must strive to fix it

The problem is:

-You have no actual plan of your own. We've already pointed out the flaws of your plan in OP.

-My plan would be to stay with the current system of the Electoral College. You are yet to justify any arguments against this system

Edited by William, 26 September 2012 - 06:07 PM.

billiam.png

#17 kilvehk

kilvehk

sheldon

• Established Members
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

-My plan would be to stay with the current system of the Electoral College. You are yet to justify any arguments against this system

how about the fact that they can vote any way they choose regardless of how we vote that in and of itself negates the idea of a democracy they are given absolute power over our votes when they are not necessarily qualified to make such decisions perhaps you are right maybe the flaw isnt in the way we vote but rather the selection of the electoral collage perhaps the way in witch a person gains a seat on the electoral collage is what needs to be reformed

2vlsea0.png

#18 Claudia

Claudia

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Well, we don't live in a pure democracy, we live in a representative democracy.

Democracy in its purest form would be impractical.

Sweetheart.png

#19 Paintball

Paintball

Eppur si muove

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone know how the electoral college evolved?

What we currently do when we, for example, elect a new President is vote for them on the ballot. But, what we are actually voting for are the people to represent us in the electoral college. Candidates pick those people. Romney has his electoral college crew and Obama has the same. Some states are all are nothing, while others give out partial electoral votes. The number of electoral votes each state receives are based on the amount of representation in Congress (lowest amount you could have is 3).

We should just move into a direct voting method because technology now allows it. Right now, it is possible to win a plurality of the popular vote, but still lose the election.
Posted Image
Signature by Brandon

#20 William

William

Outgoing Ogre

• Established Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone know how the electoral college evolved?

What we currently do when we, for example, elect a new President is vote for them on the ballot. But, what we are actually voting for are the people to represent us in the electoral college. Candidates pick those people. Romney has his electoral college crew and Obama has the same. Some states are all are nothing, while others give out partial electoral votes. The number of electoral votes each state receives are based on the amount of representation in Congress (lowest amount you could have is 3).

We should just move into a direct voting method because technology now allows it. Right now, it is possible to win a plurality of the popular vote, but still lose the election.

Vote counting is still a very messy process and direct popular voting results in much more expensive recounts on grander scales.

billiam.png