Platinum level Jagex recognized fansite

Toggle shoutbox ColorWars ShoutBox

Seribrium : (Aug 20,2014 1:58) Need partner for heros quest :)
Tri_Killer2 : (Aug 20,2014 1:58) Game
Sumurai8 : (Aug 20,2014 1:15) Huh what?
U V : (Aug 20,2014 1:14) Who's up
Super Fly : (Aug 19,2014 22:59) I r stuck!
Smileur : (Aug 19,2014 22:57) On the RS forums, they spread a rumour that the hacking group called TLS is the source of this attack... So that's why everyone's saying "I'm hunting lizards atm" !
Fading Rain : (Aug 19,2014 22:45) well except me, I was booted out of the cave. But we all got our stuff back :)
Fading Rain : (Aug 19,2014 22:45) we were at KK before all the lag happened. We kept saying 1 more kill, just 1 more... Everyone died with server crash XD
Smileur : (Aug 19,2014 22:43) Manage to connect for 3 seconds, enough to see that everything was fine... except for servers. >.>
Nick : (Aug 19,2014 22:37) Everyone keeps piling onto the servers without as much trouble leading then to capacity issues with lag there, too :P. I certainly give Jagex my sympathy.
Smileur : (Aug 19,2014 22:29) Alright, that's relieving. Thanks guys. :P
RS Black Jesus : (Aug 19,2014 22:25) Oo cool, fighting the ddos attacks no doubt
Bob : (Aug 19,2014 22:24) Jagex is shutting down random servers for safety
RS Black Jesus : (Aug 19,2014 22:24) It's most likely server bud, don't stress too much :)
Bob : (Aug 19,2014 22:23) It's more than just the server...
Smileur : (Aug 19,2014 22:23) "Your account has not logged out from its previous session or the server is to busy to handle your request. Please try again later." Damn, I hope it's the server because I hope someone didn't try to hack my phone-secured email AND my phone-secured account. :(
warvel : (Aug 19,2014 21:47) any one in the done Shield of Arrav phoenx gang will trade my hafe yours
Smexy Sarah : (Aug 19,2014 21:35) I have officially given up on rs for the day... I can't even log in to dismiss the avatar, sorry guys :(
2003 Veteran : (Aug 19,2014 19:27) Requested information for 88M in national guard... Think I'm finally going through with it o_o
Balista : (Aug 19,2014 18:14) HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYLAN

Photo

Jagex Account Guardian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lilroo503

Lilroo503

Intellectual Ancient Mage

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
Click to view battle stats

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

http://services.rune...ccount Guardian

This appears to be already released, just not yet announced.

Jagex Account Guardian (or JAG) is an optional security feature that provides an enhanced level of security to help RuneScape players protect their account. Once enabled JAG limits in-game access for your account to specific devices, which have been authorised by you.

Devices can be added temporarily or permanently, as well as being removed at any time using your registered email account and some security questions.

With JAG enabled, unrecognised devices will be blocked from accessing RuneScape and will need to go through some security checks before access is granted, even if the current password is known.

#2 CapuDie

CapuDie

RHQ Clan Staff

• Community Crew
  • 2,749 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

I love this even though it'll become annoying fast... :)

CapuDie.pngCapuDie.png

#3 Justic3 U

Justic3 U

Lecturing Lesser Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

It's pretty useful against phishing links.

#4 Paintball

Paintball

Eppur si muove

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

I don't think it does anything to prevent phishing because they can still get your password. It will make it so that it takes a little longer for them to hack your account though.

Would be nice if they sent you an in-game message saying someone tried to login to your account from x
Posted Image
Signature by Brandon

#5 Lilroo503

Lilroo503

• Established Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

From the link in the first post:

You will be sent an email if an unauthorised device tries to log into the game using your account they will be asked to go through the additional security checks. Failure to pass those checks means they won’t get into your account.

Phishing will still exist, since not everyone will enable JAG. A more advanced form will also start to appear to combat JAG, but I'd rather not get into what I think will happen with it since I don't want to give them any ideas! :P

#6 Graystar

Graystar

Graystar with silver sparkle.

• RHQ Clan Staff
  • 2,017 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

From JAG FAQ (lolpun)

http://services.rune...,251,8,63978689

What is JAG?

Jagex Account Guardian (or JAG) is an optional security feature that provides an enhanced level of security to help RuneScape players protect their account. Once enabled JAG limits in-game access for your account to specific devices, which have been authorised by you.

Devices can be added temporarily or permanently, as well as being removed at any time using your registered email account and some security questions.

With JAG enabled, unrecognised devices will be blocked from accessing RuneScape and will need to go through some security checks before access is granted, even if the current password is known.

How to activate it:

At the bottom of the RuneScape homepage click the Profile & Settings link under the heading ‘Account’

After logging in, navigate to the ‘Jagex Account Guardian’ section and follow the on screen instructions.

Remember to set up JAG on each of your RuneScape accounts for maximum security.

How to add add devices:

Every time you attempt to log in to the game from an unregistered device, you will have the option to add that device.

To add a new device you will be required to go through the following two additional security checks:

• Validate the new device through your registered email address
  • Correctly answer 3 of your Security questions

graystar3nr.gif

khnumcrop.png

#7 McSwindler

McSwindler

Professional Noob

• Developers
  • 2,605 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

I wonder if it just logs the IP or configures some sort of ID per the actual device...Because with just the IP, it would get real annoying real fast for people with dynamic IPs

featured-member-may-june-2012-mcswindlerdr-who-signature-mcswindler.png
Kudos to Brandon for the sig!
McSwindler.png

#8 Lilroo503

Lilroo503

• Established Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

It's supposed to be per device and not per IP. There were a few topics on the official forums claiming it might be partially bugged for some people atm, but when it's working 100% correctly it should be per device.

#9 Delusionis

Delusionis

The Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:20 PM

ah then it must work off of your mac address

over.png  delusionis.png
^Thanks Brandon for the Cool Signature!!!       PSN: tshudark1 (send me a message, if I know you I'll confirm it)

Leaving for Coast Guard basic on June 15th, 2014. Semper Paratus!

#10 Shadowgrin

Shadowgrin

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

If you use TOR on an earlier registered device, you do get blocked. Which is good I suppose, though this may mean it does work on IP.
I, Shadowgrin, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any dealers, shady or otherwise. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. When I see a bot I will not remain in the shadow, but grin and use the report button. I will be part of the solution.

Ut vivat, crescat floreatque Shadowgrin et RuneHQ

#11 Rue

Rue

Interactive Imp

• Established Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Absolutely love it, thankfully Jagex has finally started to move more and more in this direction.

#12 Mega Man

Mega Man

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I don't know If I should use this. My IP address changes every 1-3 weeks. So if my address changes. I can't get on my account?

Rockman_X.png

#13 Shadowgrin

Shadowgrin

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

I don't know If I should use this. My IP address changes every 1-3 weeks. So if my address changes. I can't get on my account?

I'm not sure, I tested with TOR, but TOR is made to make you completely anonymous, meaning it hides even your device. I don't know what happens if you just change your IP.
I, Shadowgrin, hereby pledge to never support known gold selling sites. I will not buy any gold or items from any dealers, shady or otherwise. I will not use a bot, nor by my silence allow friends or acquaintances to believe that I support botting or gold selling in general. When I see a bot I will not remain in the shadow, but grin and use the report button. I will be part of the solution.

#14 Shaleclaw

Shaleclaw

Shalenip the Fridgenipper

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

It supposedly recognizes the account by the device used. So to that end, I believe it relies on your MAC address, not your IP. I think dynamic IP internet connections aren't a problem, but I haven't tested that yet, myself (I use one, so I'll find out soon enough).
That said, if you use JAG and it doesn't recognize your computer, you just have to validate your email (by clicking a link in a message it sends you), and answer a few of your questions you set before it will let you in-game. You wouldn't be completely blocked from accessing your account, you'd just have to take some extra steps before it would let you in-game.

EDIT: Just tested on my connection by getting a new IP. It still recognized my computer. :)

Edited by Shaleclaw, 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#15 Kittyhawk

Kittyhawk

If all you have is a stick, everything looks like a kneecap.

• Community Crew
  • 2,050 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Aww, I thought by guardian they meant they were handing out dragons. :(

JK

This should be really helpful for people who generally only use one computer and who are in the public eye quite a bit. However if you use different computers regularly this would get old very quickly.

Edited by Kittyhawk, 05 September 2012 - 05:19 PM.

WildThing.jpg
Story time needs to happen, I just need to find a day and time that work. :(

Spoiler

#16 Mega Man

Mega Man

Spirited Steel Titan

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

It supposedly recognizes the account by the device used. So to that end, I believe it relies on your MAC address, not your IP. I think dynamic IP internet connections aren't a problem, but I haven't tested that yet, myself (I use one, so I'll find out soon enough).
That said, if you use JAG and it doesn't recognize your computer, you just have to validate your email (by clicking a link in a message it sends you), and answer a few of your questions you set before it will let you in-game. You wouldn't be completely blocked from accessing your account, you'd just have to take some extra steps before it would let you in-game.

EDIT: Just tested on my connection by getting a new IP. It still recognized my computer. :)

Thanks for checking. I was afraid of the IP address part.

Rockman_X.png

#17 Slay

Slay

Lecturing Lesser Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

I was hoping for an authenticator like Blizzard already has. Now I'm disappointed :(
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Risegold

Risegold

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

A welcome security addition for me.

#19 Chessji

Chessji

Lecturing Lesser Demon

• Established Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

This is nice, but I need to test it out on my office computer as a temp to see how it works.
Here is another FAQ link that I found while looking at the Account management. http://services.rune...ccount Guardian

Chessji.png

#20 Shadowgrin

Shadowgrin

Wise Werewolf

• Established Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

Also note: it took 10 minutes for me to receive the e-mail when I registered my laptop.